Photon Flux vs. Intensity: Which equation should be used to solve this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between intensity and photon flux and how to convert between the two quantities. The confusion arises from using the same symbol for both quantities and the different units associated with each.
lulzury

Homework Statement

A sodium lamp emits light at the power P = 130 W and at the wavelength λ = 570 nm, and the emission is uniformly in all directions. (b) At what distance from the lamp will a totally absorbing screen absorb photons at the rate of 1.00 photon /cm^2s?

Homework Equations

1. (Rate of emission/absorption) ## R= \frac {P\lambda} {hc} ##
2. (Intensity) ## I=\frac {P}{A} = \frac {P}{4\pi r^2} ##
3. (Photon Flux) ## I= \frac {R} {A} =\frac {R}{4\pi r^2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion here comes from the units of Intensity vs. Photon Flux
From the equations above, I get that
P = R, but this is not the case right?
Here is how I had set up my solution:
Since they give us I = 1.0/cm^2, this means I = 1e4 photons/m^2s

IF, I use the second equation
## I=\frac {P}{A} ##
## I=\frac {P}{4\pi r^2} ##
## r=\sqrt{\frac{P}{4\pi I}} ##
## r = \sqrt{\frac{130}{4\pi 1e4}} ##

this yields 0.0321 m, which is NOT the answer.
I get the correct answer using the third equation, but I don't understand why the first equation doesn't work in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intensity is the amount of energy that strikes a unit area during a unit of time. In the SI system, this is the number of Joules of energy that strike a square meter of area each second. This is the same as Watts per square meter. (The area is assumed to be perpendicular to the direction of propagation).

The photon flux is the number of photons that strike a unit area during a unit of time. So the SI units would be number of photons per square meter per second. (Again, the area is assumed to be perpendicular to the direction of propagation.)

Intensity and photon flux are different quantities with different units.

The confusion might be due to using the same symbol ##I## for these two different quantities. This is not a good idea.

##I## is usually used for intensity. For photon flux, people sometimes use ##\Phi##.

You can convert from ##\Phi## to ##I## by multiplying ##\Phi## by the energy of each photon (##hc/\lambda##).

Likes lulzury
Thanks TSny, I checked the units of both photon flux and intensity and got different units.

It's so weird that my book decided to use the same symbol for different quantities.

1. What is the difference between intensity and photon flux?

Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy per unit area per unit time, while photon flux is a measure of the number of photons per unit area per unit time. Intensity measures the strength of the radiation, while photon flux measures the number of photons being emitted.

2. How are intensity and photon flux related?

Intensity and photon flux are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the intensity increases, the photon flux also increases.

3. How are intensity and photon flux measured?

Intensity is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²), while photon flux is measured in photons per square meter per second (photon/m²/s). These measurements can be obtained using specialized instruments such as radiometers and photometers.

4. Can intensity and photon flux be converted into each other?

Yes, intensity and photon flux can be converted into each other using the Planck-Einstein relation, which states that energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that a higher intensity of radiation will result in a higher photon flux, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the intensity and photon flux of radiation?

The intensity and photon flux of radiation can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the distance between the source and the measuring device, the properties of the material emitting the radiation, and the wavelength or energy of the radiation. Other factors, such as absorption and scattering, can also affect the measured values of intensity and photon flux.