High school student losing interest in physics - What to do?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who has been interested in physics for three years but is now doubting if they should pursue a career in it. They discuss the reasons for their declining interest and the senior physics major advises them to keep their options open and explore other careers. They also suggest reading more about physics and visiting labs or planetariums to reignite their interest. The conversation concludes by reassuring the student that it's okay to not be interested in physics and to pursue something else if they find it more interesting.
Meron
I'm a high school student who has been interested in physics for 3 years. But these days I feel like I'm losing interest. This is making me doubt if I should really pursue a career in Physics. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's good to find out now before you put in much effort to get somewhere you have no interest in.

Why do you think you're losing interest? Do you have a reason?

I'm not sure. I feel interested but the interest is not as strong as it used to be.

I am in your situation but a senior physics major in college. I loved physics because I loved how it explains the crazy world we live in. I'm sure you read tons of stuff by Tyson, Hawking, and Kaku. I lost interest because these mind blowing topics were full of intense mathematical foundations that were the furthest thing from interesting. Keep your options open, but keep physics in mind. The analytical skills learned in it can be useful in almost every profession. High school is a great opportunity to explore potential careers without commitment, don't narrow yourself to a certain profession because most people change majors.

Thanks John!

It's actually not a crime to not be interested in physics! :nb)

If you find something else more interesting, you should absolutely pursue that instead. You're not locked into anyone path, especially in high school.

Then again, I remember high-school physics being pretty boring. Perhaps, if you're not already, you could read some other physics writing, or visit a lab, or a planetarium, or something?

I'm pretty much having the same issue, though I'm suspecting school itself might be a factor of my declining interest.

1. Why is the high school student losing interest in physics?

There could be a variety of reasons for a high school student to lose interest in physics. It could be due to a lack of understanding or struggling with the subject, a lack of engagement or challenge in the classroom, or simply a shift in interests.

2. What can I do as a teacher/parent to help the student regain interest in physics?

Firstly, try to understand the reason behind the student's disinterest and address it accordingly. You can also try incorporating real-world examples and hands-on activities to make the subject more engaging. Encourage the student to ask questions and explore their own interests within the subject.

3. Is it normal for a high school student to lose interest in a subject they used to enjoy?

Yes, it is normal for a high school student to shift their interests and lose interest in a subject they used to enjoy. It is important to support the student and help them find new ways to engage with the subject.

4. Can extracurricular activities help a high school student maintain interest in physics?

Yes, extracurricular activities such as science clubs, competitions, or projects can help a high school student maintain interest in physics. These activities provide a more hands-on and practical approach to the subject, making it more interesting and engaging.

5. Should I encourage the student to drop physics if they have lost interest?

No, it is not recommended to encourage a student to drop a subject they have lost interest in. Instead, try to understand the reason behind their disinterest and find ways to make the subject more engaging for them. It is important for students to have a well-rounded education, and dropping a subject may limit their future opportunities.