1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest in physics

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    I'm a high school student who has been interested in physics for 3 years. But these days I feel like I'm losing interest. This is making me doubt if I should really pursue a career in Physics. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, it's good to find out now before you put in much effort to get somewhere you have no interest in.

Why do you think you're losing interest? Do you have a reason?

4. May 9, 2015 #3
    I'm not sure. I feel interested but the interest is not as strong as it used to be.

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    I am in your situation but a senior physics major in college. I loved physics because I loved how it explains the crazy world we live in. I'm sure you read tons of stuff by Tyson, Hawking, and Kaku. I lost interest because these mind blowing topics were full of intense mathematical foundations that were the furthest thing from interesting. Keep your options open, but keep physics in mind. The analytical skills learned in it can be useful in almost every profession. High school is a great opportunity to explore potential careers without commitment, don't narrow yourself to a certain profession because most people change majors.

6. May 17, 2015 #5
    Thanks John!

7. May 17, 2015 #6

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's actually not a crime to not be interested in physics! :nb)

If you find something else more interesting, you should absolutely pursue that instead. You're not locked into any one path, especially in high school.

Then again, I remember high-school physics being pretty boring. Perhaps, if you're not already, you could read some other physics writing, or visit a lab, or a planetarium, or something?

8. May 18, 2015 #7
    I'm pretty much having the same issue, though I'm suspecting school itself might be a factor of my declining interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook