Interest on principal over 5 years

In summary: Sn = 6000 * (1/1.1)^5 * (1.1-1) / (1/1.1-1) = 6000 * 0.6209 * 0.1 / 0.1 = 6000 * 0.6209 = $3,725.4In summary, the retired hockey star plans to set up a scholarship fund of $6000 per year for five years to assist an underprivileged child in attending a post-secondary institution. To ensure this, he should give $3,725.4 to the institution now, which will be able to invest the money at 10% annual compounded interest. The amounts form a geometric series because the
yourmom98
A retired hockey star wants to set up a scholarship fund to assist an underprivileged child who would like to go to a post-secondary institution. He wants to ensure that the student will have $6000 per year for five years. How much should he give to the institution, now, to ensure that this can happen, if the institution is able to invest the money at 10%/a compounded annually?

a)Set up a line diagram showing the present value of each of the $6000 payments.
Note: You will need to find the present value of an amount when calculating the present value of each $6000 payment.

b)Explain why the amounts form a geometric series.

c)Calculate the sum of this geometric series using . Sn=( a(r^n-1)) / (r-1)

a) okay so it goes 6000,6000/(1.1)^1 ... 6000/(1.1)^4 (1+i)=1.1

b) it is geometric because the ratio btwn consecutive terms are constant

c) Okay now i don't know how to sub in and then solve it because i don't know A because i am assuming that he is giving 1 payment for the whole 5 years the kid is going to an university. and i don't know Sn because i am SOLVING for Sn so how do i sub for r and how do i solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
He is unlikely to give a single payment to cover the student's costs for the whole 5 years but rather 5 separate payments, each one at the start of the currrent year of study.

A Geometric series is,

S = {a, ar, ar², ..., ar^(n-1)}

where a is the initial term,
r is the common ratio

You already used r when creating your line diagram which, in fact, is just the set S.

well if he does that then it would just be five $6000 payments and the question doesent say WHEN he is giving this money to start saving

According to the question, as you posted it, he gives the money now.

I imagine that means just before the start of the 1st year's study

Although 5 separate payments of $6000 are made, the amount the hockey star gives to the institution for investment is Sn.

yes that is what got from the question as well that means that there are 5 payments of 6000 to the school. the hockey star pay gives only 1 one payment.

so that means what i did for a) was correct right? my problem is i don't know how to sub that into the equation of Sn

What you did for a) is correct.

The series you got is,

6000,6000/(1.1)^1 ... 6000/(1.1)^4

A Geometric series is,

S = {a, ar, ar², ..., ar^(n-1)}

If you compare your series with the geometric series you will norice that a = 6000 and r = 1/1.1.

Now sub into Sn = ar^(n-1)) / (r-1)

What is interest on principal over 5 years?

Interest on principal over 5 years refers to the total amount of money earned in interest on a principal investment over a 5-year period.

How is interest on principal over 5 years calculated?

The interest on principal over 5 years is calculated by multiplying the principal amount by the annual interest rate and the number of years, then adding the resulting interest earned each year.

What factors can affect the interest on principal over 5 years?

The interest on principal over 5 years can be affected by the initial principal amount, the annual interest rate, and any additional contributions or withdrawals made during the 5-year period.

Is interest on principal over 5 years compound or simple interest?

The interest on principal over 5 years can be either compound or simple interest, depending on the terms of the investment. Compound interest means that the interest earned is added to the principal amount and earns interest in subsequent periods, while simple interest only earns interest on the initial principal amount.

How can interest on principal over 5 years be useful for financial planning?

Interest on principal over 5 years can be useful for financial planning as it can help individuals or businesses estimate the potential growth of their investments over a 5-year period. It can also be used to compare different investment options and make informed decisions about where to invest their money.