Interested in purchasing Russian textbooks in mathematics

In summary, the Russian textbooks in mathematics are excellent and I am looking for a way to purchase them.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum friends,

I recently got interested in the Russian textbooks in mathematics, which I am completely blown away by their exposition, insights, and excellent problem sets. I have been reading translated versions of Russian books written by authors like Kolmogorov, Arnold, and Shilov, but I know that the untranslated, original versions are the best one to taste the authors' exposition. I have been actively searching for websites and bookstores to purchase the Russian editions, but I could not find ones...If you have any information on a website or place for me to purchase the Russian editions, please inform me!

Likes S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that MRI was the name of the publisher for a lot of Russian texts. Have you tried abebooks?

MidgetDwarf said:
MRI
... "MIR?"

correct

MidgetDwarf said:
I know that MRI was the name of the publisher for a lot of Russian texts. Have you tried abebooks?

Yes, I actually read several MIR books on mathematics (in translated version). I am actually searching for original Russian editions.

sorry, i thought the MIR published both the Russian and English version.

Why not try Russian online booksellers like ozon.ru? I know it ships books (but not other items) internationally.

@bacte2013: Just out of curiosity, do you have a Russian family background or did you learn the language by yourself? Pardon my imprudent question.

Krylov said:
@bacte2013: Just out of curiosity, do you have a Russian family background or did you learn the language by yourself? Pardon my imprudent question.

I do not have a Russian family background. I am actually taking the Russian language course.

I had fond memory of Yakov Perelman's Fun with Physics series. It's actually how I became interested in physics in middle school.
it's not textbook per say, but it's the best to bring physics/math alive when it ignites curiosity in young kids.

It's not exactly a rigorous technical textbook. But, the book Mathematical Circles is very good. It's about problem solving and has many wonderful problems, starting with simple questions. I enjoyed (and still enjoy) it a lot.

There is a series of books called Kvant Selecta - They're pretty good too.

bacte2013: Kolmogorov, Arnold, and Shilov are only a few of wast collection from MIR publisher. I have many of them in my private library. I'm still searching for some that I miss, but they are hard to get nowadays. It's been 30-40 years.. Also, series are not complete, and some MIR books are only in "acceptable condition", which is not acceptable for my standard :smile: My standard goes from "very good" on... Well, to be honest, there are some new (as advertised) for around 100 bucks :)) Too expensive for me ... Can you imagine, that we were able to buy such books for 2 - 3 bucks in '80s in our former country Yugoslavia... Now they are worth a fortune :wideeyed: Anyways, I got lucky and got some MIR books from amazon and abebooks in great condition for reasonable price...:cool: Yet, others were purchased from Italy, for instance: Mathematical analysis for engineers I & II from Krasnov, Kiselev, Makarenko, Shiking and also Higher mathematics in problems and exercises from Danko, Popov, Kozhevnikova. Some exotic ones were purchased in Spain...for instance: A course of Mathematical analysis from S.M. Nikolsky. And some (electrical science), were bought even in Serbia. I suggest that you take a look at this site: https://mirtitles.org/ and choose which ones would suite you, try to download them and maybe print for your personal use. Check if MIR still holds a copyright. Have fun !

Likes Demystifier
arabianights said:
I had fond memory of Yakov Perelman's Fun with Physics series. It's actually how I became interested in physics in middle school.
it's not textbook per say, but it's the best to bring physics/math alive when it ignites curiosity in young kids.
Some of Perelman's books can be found here:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=yakov perelman

discoversci said:
Can you imagine, that we were able to buy such books for 2 - 3 bucks in '80s in our former country Yugoslavia.
Yes, I remember that (in Zagreb) a Russian math or physics book was cheaper than a toilet paper.

1. What are the benefits of purchasing Russian textbooks in mathematics?

There are several benefits to purchasing Russian textbooks in mathematics. These textbooks are often more comprehensive and rigorous compared to textbooks from other countries. They also tend to focus on problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential for success in mathematics. Additionally, studying from Russian textbooks can expose students to different perspectives and approaches to solving mathematical problems.

2. Where can I purchase Russian textbooks in mathematics?

Russian textbooks in mathematics can be purchased online from various retailers, such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble. They can also be purchased directly from publishers or from specialized bookstores that cater to Russian language materials. Some universities may also have Russian textbooks available for purchase in their libraries or bookstores.

3. Are there any language barriers when studying from Russian textbooks in mathematics?

While the textbooks may be written in Russian, many of them have been translated into English or have English versions available. Additionally, the mathematical notation and symbols used in Russian textbooks are universal, so students should not face any significant language barriers. However, it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of the Russian language to fully grasp the explanations and examples provided in the textbooks.

4. Are Russian textbooks in mathematics suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, Russian textbooks in mathematics are suitable for all levels of education, from elementary school to graduate level. They cover a wide range of mathematical topics and can be used for self-study or as a supplement to a formal curriculum. However, it is essential to ensure that the textbook you are considering is appropriate for your level of mathematical knowledge and understanding.

5. Can Russian textbooks in mathematics be used in conjunction with textbooks from other countries?

Yes, Russian textbooks in mathematics can be used in conjunction with textbooks from other countries. In fact, using textbooks from different countries can provide a more well-rounded education and expose students to different mathematical methods and approaches. However, it is important to ensure that the textbooks cover similar topics and are compatible with your current curriculum.