1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Interested in purchasing Russian textbooks in mathematics

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    Dear Physics Forum friends,

I recently got interested in the Russian textbooks in mathematics, which I am completely blown away by their exposition, insights, and excellent problem sets. I have been reading translated versions of Russian books written by authors like Kolmogorov, Arnold, and Shilov, but I know that the untranslated, original versions are the best one to taste the authors' exposition. I have been actively searching for websites and bookstores to purchase the Russian editions, but I could not find ones....If you have any information on a website or place for me to purchase the Russian editions, please inform me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2
    I know that MRI was the name of the publisher for a lot of Russian texts. Have you tried abebooks?

4. Jan 22, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... "MIR?"

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4
  6. Jan 22, 2016 #5
    Yes, I actually read several MIR books on mathematics (in translated version). I am actually searching for original Russian editions.

7. Jan 23, 2016 #6
    sorry, i thought the MIR published both the Russian and English version.

8. Jan 23, 2016 #7
    Why not try Russian online booksellers like ozon.ru? I know it ships books (but not other items) internationally.

9. Jan 23, 2016 #8

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

@bacte2013: Just out of curiosity, do you have a Russian family background or did you learn the language by yourself? Pardon my imprudent question.

10. Jan 23, 2016 #9
    I do not have a Russian family background. I am actually taking the Russian language course.

11. Feb 5, 2016 #10
    I had fond memory of Yakov Perelman's Fun with Physics series. It's actually how I became interested in physics in middle school.
    it's not textbook per say, but it's the best to bring physics/math alive when it ignites curiosity in young kids.

12. Feb 5, 2016 #11
    It's not exactly a rigorous technical text book. But, the book Mathematical Circles is very good. It's about problem solving and has many wonderful problems, starting with simple questions. I enjoyed (and still enjoy) it a lot.

13. Jun 8, 2016 #12
    There is a series of books called Kvant Selecta - They're pretty good too.

14. Jun 25, 2016 #13
    bacte2013: Kolmogorov, Arnold, and Shilov are only a few of wast collection from MIR publisher. I have many of them in my private library. I'm still searching for some that I miss, but they are hard to get nowadays. It's been 30-40 years.. Also, series are not complete, and some MIR books are only in "acceptable condition", which is not acceptable for my standard :smile: My standard goes from "very good" on... Well, to be honest, there are some new (as advertised) for around 100 bucks :)) Too expensive for me ... Can you imagine, that we were able to buy such books for 2 - 3 bucks in '80s in our former country Yugoslavia... Now they are worth a fortune :wideeyed: Anyways, I got lucky and got some MIR books from amazon and abebooks in great condition for reasonable price...:cool: Yet, others were purchased from Italy, for instance: Mathematical analysis for engineers I & II from Krasnov, Kiselev, Makarenko, Shiking and also Higher mathematics in problems and exercises from Danko, Popov, Kozhevnikova. Some exotic ones were purchased in Spain...for instance: A course of Mathematical analysis from S.M. Nikolsky. And some (electrical science), were bought even in Serbia. I suggest that you take a look at this site: https://mirtitles.org/ and choose which ones would suite you, try to download them and maybe print for your personal use. Check if MIR still holds a copyright. Have fun !

15. Jun 25, 2016 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some of Perelman's books can be found here:
    https://archive.org/search.php?query=yakov perelman

16. Apr 28, 2017 #15

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes, I remember that (in Zagreb) a Russian math or physics book was cheaper than a toilet paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted