Interfacing of NTC thermistor with microcontroller

In summary, the circuit as shown appears to be correct, but the documentation states that the output voltage is 1.4V when in reality it is 1.05V. I am not sure why this discrepancy exists.
PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
I want to understand the circuit for the NTC interfacing with the microcontroller
Relevant Equations
Voltage divider equation = V*R2/(R1+R2)
I am trying to understand a circuit where the NTC thermistor is interfaced with micro controller, but i am not able to understand the voltage output at 25DegC. According to the ST website the output of the circuit is 1.4V but as per my calculations it is 1.05V, i am not sure why. Please help.
1672152854535.png

My understanding is since it is 10K NTC thermistor at 25DegC the resistance is 10K. Is this assumption correct?
V_TempFeedback = 3.3 * 4.7/(10+4.7) = 3.3*4.7/14.7 = 1.055V.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is connected to the "Temperature feedback" net? Can you post a link to the ST website where they show this circuit? Thanks.

Thank you for reply this is the hardware board schematics B-G431B-ESC1
The product details ST Evaluation board

What schematic page has that circuit, and where do they calculate the 25C expected voltage?

Page no 6 and 4 to the micro. There is a software to be installed motor workbench in that it shows
1672154796997.png

What are the input characteristics of that B14 ADC input?

I never checked that i will check and update.

I guess if it's just an ADC input, it should be pretty high impedance compared to the NTC circuit. I don't have any ideas why they show a different value of the voltage divider output...

1) Your voltage divider calculation is correct, for the circuit as shown.
2) 10Kohm @ 25C is an extremely common thermistor value.
3) 1.4V to the ADC would correspond to 6.38Kohm for the thermistor. Assuming a high impedance input, which is almost always true.
4) I am suspicious of the "NTC thermistor info" given. Thermistors aren't specified by a voltage value unless an associated circuit is given. Whoever wrote this part seems to care more about software than hardware.
5) People/Companies make mistakes. Things can be misinterpreted.
6) You are stuck without a thermistor part number and a specification. Either you or ST is reporting inconsistent information. We can't figure it out either, without a research project that we all are unlikely to take on.

Likes berkeman
If two changes were made to the circuit, ST engineers would almost certainly have checked the numbers. So I look for single changes that could explain the difference.

If a different supply voltage to 3.3 volt, had been used, then Vs = 4.375 volt.
That is too far from any regular voltage, so is most unlikely.

If a different value fixed resistor had been used, then Rf = 7.368k
That is not an E value I recognise, so I keep the value 4k7.

If a different value thermistor had been used, then Rt = 6.378k @ 25 °C.
A value most unexpected for a thermistor.

So I can see no single change to the circuit that plausibly explains the change.
That only leaves us with a hypothetical error by a human.

1.4 only contains two significant digits. The A-D should give 3 digits.
What if the voltage had been read by the A-D converter as 1.04 volts.
Given a temperature error, that is close to the calculated 1.055 volts.
Then a typo removed the 0 to make it 1.4 volts in the documentation.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
  • Informative
Likes PhysicsTest and berkeman
I tried searching for another evaluation board to compare it, i found some useful information. On page14 found the following information
The document link evspin
1672239159896.png

1672239196029.png

If i do the calculations as per the equation
T = R40 = 4.7K = 4700
VREFP = 3.3V
VPC4 = 1.05V (as per ST it was 1.4V
then i get around 23.85DegC more or less equal to 25DegC.

You might also check the tolerance of the NTC, they are often rated ±10% to ±20%. That would certainly cover the observed "error."

Likes PhysicsTest
Tom.G said:
You might also check the tolerance of the NTC, they are often rated ±10% to ±20%. That would certainly cover the observed "error."
Except that there are no observations in this case. It's all paperwork so far, I think.

Wait, is the original note maybe saying that it's 1.4Vmax @ 70C? (to be sure the ADC input voltage is within its valid range)

1672327537186.png

berkeman said:
Wait, is the original note maybe saying that it's 1.4Vmax @ 70C? (to be sure the ADC input voltage is within its valid range)

View attachment 319509
I read that as the maximum thermistor temperature.

Additionally supported by post #12 above.

1. What is a NTC thermistor and how does it work?

A NTC thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that uses the principle of negative temperature coefficient (NTC) to measure changes in temperature. It is made of a semiconductor material that has a negative resistance-temperature relationship, meaning that its resistance decreases as temperature increases. This change in resistance can be measured and used to determine the temperature of the surrounding environment.

2. How is a NTC thermistor interfaced with a microcontroller?

To interface a NTC thermistor with a microcontroller, the thermistor is connected in a voltage divider circuit with a fixed resistor. The output voltage of the voltage divider is then fed into an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) channel of the microcontroller. The microcontroller then reads the voltage and uses a mathematical formula to calculate the corresponding temperature based on the known resistance-temperature relationship of the NTC thermistor.

3. What are the advantages of using a NTC thermistor for temperature sensing?

One of the main advantages of using a NTC thermistor for temperature sensing is its high sensitivity. It can accurately measure small changes in temperature, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. NTC thermistors are also relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and have a fast response time.

4. Can a NTC thermistor be used for both heating and cooling applications?

Yes, a NTC thermistor can be used for both heating and cooling applications. When used for heating, the thermistor is placed in close proximity to the heat source and its resistance decreases as the temperature increases. For cooling applications, the thermistor is placed in the area to be cooled and its resistance increases as the temperature decreases. This change in resistance can be used to control a heating or cooling system.

5. Are there any limitations to using a NTC thermistor for temperature sensing?

One limitation of using a NTC thermistor for temperature sensing is its non-linear response. This means that the change in resistance is not directly proportional to the change in temperature. To compensate for this, a calibration curve or lookup table can be used to convert the measured resistance into an accurate temperature reading. Additionally, NTC thermistors have a limited temperature range and may not be suitable for extreme temperatures.