1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference fringes between rectangular pieces of glass

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    hello again folks, this is the last problem that I haven't gotten in this week's homework. see attached image.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two rectangular pieces of glass (see attached image, I painstakingly made it with a very fussy/crash-ey program) are laid on top of one another on a plane surface. A thin strip of paper is inserted between them at one end, so that a wedge of air is formed. The plates are illuminated by perpendicularly incident light of wavelength 595 nm, and 18 interference fringes per centimeter-length of wedge appear. What is the angle of the wedge?

2. Relevant equations
    x/y = L/d (similar triangles)
    2y = (m + 1/2) * lambda
    Tan theta = (y / x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    calculating x' from x(m+1) - x(m), I get x'=(L/d) * (lambda/2) . the change in x, x', I think is the space between the fringes. but whether this is 1/ (18/(10^(-2))) or 18/(10^(-2)) I'm not sure. The latter is way too big, and resulted in an incorrect answer. The former is ultimately 1/1800, which seems intuitively right.

so 1/1800 = (L/d) * (lambda/2).
    L/d = 2/(1800*lambda)
    d/L = (1800*lambda)/2
    theta = Arctan (d/L) =Arctan ((1800*lambda)/2)

does this look right? I haven't calculated or submitted this answer, as i wanted to wait and think it over before wasting any more of my last 3 chances to get it right.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
    ,Yroyathon

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I think you have it right.
    You get a bright fringe when the thickness is nL/2 (using L instead of lambda).
    thickness = x*tan(A) so x = nL/(2*tan(A)) and the horizontal distance between fringes is
    dx = .5*L/tan(A)
    Your dx is .01/18 = .5*L/tan(A)
    tan(A) = 900L

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook