Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference pattern given many which-path detectors?

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]
    From: http://www.bottomlayer.com/bottom/basic_delayed_choice.htm

I refer to the above picture of the double slit experiment.
    I wonder what you would get if you added a third detector 5C in between 5R and 5L?
    Presumably you would get zero detects, because when you check the which-path, the interference pattern is non existent.
    Which is to say that all of the photons traveled in a strait line through either the right or left slit to land at 5R or 5L respectively.

What if you had many very tiny detectors in a grid?
    Would an interference pattern emerge?
    I say this because, the screen upon which the interference pattern is observed is made of molecules.
    Each molecule acts as a sort of detector, changing it's properties when light hits it, correct?

Has anyone heard of an experiment done along this line, or know of a reason why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    It depends on the type of your detector.
    If your detector detects position then you dont know what path and there is an interference pattern
    If, like on the picture, you have tiny telescopes then you measure the momentum and there is no interference pattern.

If you have a mixture of detectors then nothing changes - 'telescopes' detect no interference pattern while other detectors detect it.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3
    Interesting. Thanks Dmitry67.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?