1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior of a Set

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    "In a metric space M with A as a subset, an interior is the largest open subset contained in A."

That's how I've written this down in my notes along with some more symbolic definition. If the set within M (say, A) is open would/could the interior also be the whole set?

Thanks. Just gettin' ready for my Analysis final.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can likely answer this yourself. Think about A = [a,b] versus (a,b) in the reals.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3
    I believe so. Because I know that a subset can in fact be the set itself. And by my own definition "the largest open set contained in A" is another way of saying the largest open subset in A...being A. In the reals, at least. I think my hang up is on the name "interior", is my reasoning correct though?

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(a,b) is the largest open set contained in (a,b) so the answer to your question is yes.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5
    Awesome. At least I know if this question is on the test (yeah right), I'll be fine.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook