What is the significance of f(t) in proving the man's statement?

In summary, the man runs up a mountain for 20 minutes on Saturday and down the mountain for 10 minutes on Sunday, realizing at some point on the way down that he passed the same place at the same time on both days. To prove this, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem on the function f(t) = s(t) - r(t), where s(t) is the position function for the run up and r(t) is the position function for the run down. By setting f(t) equal to 0, we can show that there is a time t when the man was at the same height on both days. This is because s(t) would be equal to the height of the mountain and r(t)
dnt
heres the question:

At 8 am on Saturday a man begins running up the side of a mountaion to his weekend campsite. On Sunday morning at 8 am he runs back down the mountain.It takes him 20 minutes to run up, but only 10 mins to run down. At some point on the way down, he realizes that he passed the same place at exactly the same time on Saturday. Prove that he is correct. (hint: let s(t) and r(t) be the position functions for the runs up and down, and apply the Intermediate Value Theorem to the function f(t)= s(t) - r(t)).

ok i understand the int. value th. but i cannot figure out how to apply it here or what the point of the hint was (f(t)= s(t) - r(t)). i know that for a given height, h, there is a value of t such that s(t) = h. likewise there is another value of t such that r(t) = h.

but how do you prove that those t's (times) are the same for s and r to show that at the exact same time he was at the same height? I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of f(t) at 8 am?
What is the value of f(t) at 8:20 am?

Assume (for a moment) that there is a suitable time.
What would the value of f be at that time?

f(t) at 8 am would be -h since s(t) = 0 and r(t) = h (assuming the hill has a height of h).

i have no idea what it is at 8:20 am.

if there was a suitable time then both s(t) and r(t) would be equal (at some height, whatever it may be) and f(t) = 0.

am i close?

dnt said:
if there was a suitable time then both s(t) and r(t) would be equal (at some height, whatever it may be) and f(t) = 0.

Actually, the point is the other way around! Assuming that s and r are continuous functions (he doesn't have a "transporter" to send him instantaneously from one point to another!), since f(0) is negative and f(20) is positive, by the intermediate value theorem, there MUST be some time t when f(t)= 0. What does THAT tell you?

dnt said:
f(t) at 8 am would be -h since s(t) = 0 and r(t) = h (assuming the hill has a height of h).

i have no idea what it is at 8:20 am.

am i close?
You are told that it took him 20 minutes to run up the hill so s(20)= h. It took him only 10 minutes to run down the hill and since you are only interested in the hill, you can assume he just waited at the bottom for another 10 minutes: r(20)= 0. Yes, f(0)= s(0)- r(0)= -h. f(20)= s(20)- r(20)= h- 0= h. One is negative, the other positive. What does that tell you about a value of f some time between 0 and 20?

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that states that if a continuous function is defined on a closed interval [a, b], and takes on two values, y1 and y2, at the endpoints a and b respectively, then for any value k between y1 and y2, there exists at least one value c in the interval [a, b] such that f(c) = k.

What is the significance of the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is significant because it guarantees the existence of a solution to certain equations and problems. It is often used in calculus to prove the existence of roots of functions, and has applications in various fields of science and engineering.

Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a solution, but it does not provide a method for finding the exact value. It can be used to narrow down the possible values of a function, but additional information or techniques are needed to determine the exact value.

What are the assumptions for the Intermediate Value Theorem to hold?

The Intermediate Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions, which means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. Additionally, the function must be defined on a closed interval [a, b], and must take on two values, y1 and y2, at the endpoints a and b respectively.

Are there any exceptions to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

Yes, there are some situations where the Intermediate Value Theorem does not hold. For example, if the function is not continuous, or if it does not satisfy the assumptions mentioned above, then the theorem may not apply. Additionally, there may be multiple solutions or no solutions at all within the interval.