Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal combustion engine transfer function (request)

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, i need to find reported transfer functions of internal combustion engines for a project, i would appreciate the model of a four cylinder engine.
    If anyone knows about a book or some article which i can use, please let me know.
    thank you very much.
    the topic is related with dynamics and control.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Transfer function from what to what? Gasoline to acceleration?

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much.

I need a transfer function from the air inlet to RPM or Hp, considering a constant ideal air/fuel ratio (maybe i would need a transfer function for that).

Also another one from RPM to exhaust gas flux, in this one i'm not quite sure what is really convenient to calculate the exhaust gas flux, rpm or Hp?.

I need all of this to elaborate a control loop for a twin charged system.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I did a Google search on Thermodynamics of Internal Combustion Engines, and got a lot of good hits. Have a look through the hit list to see if you start finding what you are looking for:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j0i22i30l3.0.0.0.6941...........0.FbKAEUD0TZo

:-)

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5
    I will, thanks.

Searching around i found this book, "Engine Modeling and Control" Author: Rolf Isermann, it may have some transfer functions
    here's a preview of the book in case someone is interested:

http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642-39934-3

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6
    Dear All

this is my problem too, We have an engine test bench based on torque controlling dynamometer, I don't know how to have the transfer function for the shaft
    I guess we need a transfer function of force to speed, we only have access to ECU to send the pedal load and that it! We have to have a specific rotation with that!
    Please let me know if anyone have any suggestion how to control with PID and transfer function! I am confused ( I am a mechanical engineering and don't know anything from controlling )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook