1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal energy change in isobaric system

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    hi all, i have a confusion about the internal energy change and work done in a isobaric system....
    suppose i want to find the delQ in isobaric system in terms of P & V....now i may assume the delW part would be pdv=p(V2-V1)...as i m compressing the gas...
    but what happens to the du?
    and is the specific heat capacity at const pressure somehow related to the du?
    plz help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the first law:

ΔQ = ΔU + W where W is the work done by the system.

If the compression is slow enough, you could treat it as a quasi-static isobaric compression such that W = PΔV.

To find ΔQ all you have to do is find ΔU. If this is an ideal gas, that is easy to do because ΔU is related to ΔT (how?) and ΔT is related to Δ(PV) by the ideal gas law. Or you could just use Cp and the change in T to determine ΔQ.

AM

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    well as for ideal gas U is only function of T, so i think we can replace dU with dT...but i just dont want to split the delQ here....
    so i wanted to know is there any direct link between Cp and dU so that somehow i can replace the dU in terms of Cp & dT?

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the relationship between ΔU and ΔT (for an ideal gas? What is the relationship between Cv and Cp?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook