Internal Energy of 1 mole of Ideal Gas

In summary, a 1 litre cylinder contains 1 mole of ideal gas molecules with an average kinetic energy of 0.1eV. The total energy of this gas can be calculated by summing the kinetic energies of all the gas molecules, which is equal to the internal energy of the gas. Since kinetic energy is positive definite, the internal energy cannot be negative. Therefore, the total energy of the gas is equal to 1.6x10-20 J multiplied by Avogadro's number. This can be derived from the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that work is equal to the change in kinetic energy plus the change in internal energy.
Symara Cyr

Homework Statement

One litre cylinder contains 1 mole of the ideal gas molecules having the average kinetic energy of 0.1eV. What is the total energy of this gas?

Homework Equations

W = K + U

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured because the cylinder is closed, no stated temperature change, or volume/pressure change, there is no work? So U=-K
K = 0.1eV = 1.6 x10-20J.
Therefore, U = -1.6x10-20 J.

Is this line of thinking correct? Can it really be that simple..

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You are given the average kinetic energy of a single molecule. You are asked for the total energy of all of the molecules in the cylinder.

Symara Cyr said:

Homework Statement

One litre cylinder contains 1 mole of the ideal gas molecules having the average kinetic energy of 0.1eV. What is the total energy of this gas?

Homework Equations

W = K + U

Is that supposed to be ##W=\Delta K +\Delta U##? In other words work equals change in energy?

Regardless, your reasoning is correct in that there is no work done and no change in energy, temperature, volume or pressure. But the question is not asking about how much the energy changes. It's asking what the energy is.

The energy of an ideal gas is the sum of the kinetic energies of the gas molecules.

Mister T said:
Is that supposed to be ##W=\Delta K +\Delta U##? In other words work equals change in energy?

Regardless, your reasoning is correct in that there is no work done and no change in energy, temperature, volume or pressure. But the question is not asking about how much the energy changes. It's asking what the energy is.

The energy of an ideal gas is the sum of the kinetic energies of the gas molecules.

So, U = -1.6x10-20 J is for a single molecule. I adjust for the rest of the molecules by multiplying my number by Avogadro's number?

and yes, that's the equation I actually meant. My apologies!

For an ideal gas, the internal energy is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies of all the molecules comprising the gas. Since kinetic energy is positive definite, the internal energy cannot be negative.

Chet

Symara Cyr said:
So, U = -1.6x10-20 J is for a single molecule. I adjust for the rest of the molecules by multiplying my number by Avogadro's number?

Yes. it's a simple exercise, not really a problem.

and yes, that's the equation I actually meant. My apologies!

You should be aware that the relation ##W=\Delta K + \Delta U## is valid only for particle-like objects, that is, objects that cannot possesses internal energy.

The more general relation is the First Law of Thermodynamics. In thermodynamics you typically treat a collection of particles, a gas for example, which does possesses internal energy.

Awesome, okay. Thank you everyone so much!

What is the internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas?

The internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas is a measure of the total energy of the gas, including both its kinetic and potential energies. It is expressed in joules (J) and is dependent on the temperature and pressure of the gas.

How is the internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas calculated?

The internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas can be calculated using the equation U = (3/2)RT, where U is the internal energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation assumes that the gas behaves ideally, meaning that it follows the ideal gas law.

What factors affect the internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas?

The internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of moles of gas. As temperature increases, the internal energy also increases, while a decrease in temperature leads to a decrease in internal energy. Similarly, an increase in pressure results in an increase in internal energy, while a decrease in pressure decreases internal energy.

What is the significance of the internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas?

The internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas is a crucial concept in thermodynamics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases. It helps scientists to understand the relationship between temperature, pressure, and energy in gases and is essential in various industrial and scientific applications.

How does the internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas differ from other types of energy?

The internal energy of 1 mole of ideal gas differs from other types of energy, such as potential energy and kinetic energy, as it is a measure of the total energy of the gas, including both kinetic and potential energies. Other types of energy only measure one aspect of the gas's energy. Additionally, the internal energy of a gas cannot be directly measured, but rather can only be calculated based on other factors such as temperature and pressure.