Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet Problem

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    I recently set up a new DSL connection to this computer and am having a problem with the connection. I called the tech support at the company and they said the connection is fine and the appropirate lights on the DSL modem are all on. Yet when I move from page to page I frequently get the IE error page "Cannot find server or DNS Error" I reload the page and it opens properly. This is also present using Mozilla.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    It could be a number of things. But if i were to bet i would say check the settings on your DSL modem since both IE and mozzila don't work. Did you have dial up before DSL?? and did both IE and mozzila work??

4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    what happens if you ping google.com for example, do you loose packets?

Do this from cmd prompt: (assuming you are using windows)

ping google.com -t

Let it run for a bit.. and see if you have a high % of request time outs.

5. Jan 10, 2007 #4
    We previously had dial up; but I am using a different computer with the DSL, if that even matters.

I pinged google and received large blocks of replies with maybe 3 or 4 time outs in between.

6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    how large is large? :smile:

7. Jan 10, 2007 #6
    11 X reply
    1 X time out
    19 X reply
    1 X time out
    17 X reply
    2 X time out

8. Jan 10, 2007 #7
    I ran another one
    4 X reply
    4 X time out
    ~15 X reply
    etc...

9. Jan 10, 2007 #8
    Not the best, but I dont think that will be the problem then.

10. Jan 10, 2007 #9
    Like i said i would easily check the settings on your modem.

11. Jan 10, 2007 #10
    I am guessing you are on the edge of the range where DSL works. With DSL, my understanding is quality is affected by the range you are from the server. You may also want to try replacing cables (phone line, CAT 5 cable) or even try a different phone socket -- because there could be some problems there.

12. Jan 10, 2007 #11
    The cables are new, but I guess I could go replace them. The modem they gave me doesn't have any settings other than on and off. I don't see why it would be anything on my computer since I have used DSL successfully on it at another location. But what on my computer should look at anyway?

13. Jan 11, 2007 #12
    Even new cables can suck! Again, try a different phone jack too.

I also would like to know what virus protection/firewall software you are using.

14. Jan 11, 2007 #13
    I think if you arent loosing too many packets, we can assume physical cabling is fine. I would suggest the problem is probably somewhere else.

What happens when you do this from cmd:

nslookup
    >google.com

Can you copy and paste what happens when you do that

15. Jan 11, 2007 #14
    It says

server:unknown
    Address: 198.XXX.X.X

Non-authoritative answer
    name:google.com
    addresses: (it lists three)

16. Jan 11, 2007 #15
    I can't copy it

but above it also said
    can't find server name for address 198.XXX.X.X: non-existent domain
    default servers not available
    default server: unknown

17. Jan 12, 2007 #16
    seems like you may have a dns problem, contact your ISP and ask the what your DNS server should be, and ask them to help you configure it.

18. Jan 12, 2007 #17

verty

Homework Helper

It sounds like your 'DNS server' parameter is not being set property. The default server should be set automatically.

If you enter (windows command prompt) 'ipconfig /all', you should see a setting there 'DNS servers', they should be set to something or other. Can you tell us what they are set to?

19. Jan 15, 2007 #18
    I doubt it's an IP problem because of the fact that he can open pages sometimes. Step one would be to make sure you have reset all your browser settings to default and ensure they obtain dns and ip automatically. If you could post what ipconfig says for dns that would be nice. Also default gateway.

20. Jan 15, 2007 #19
    Dns isnt IP, its how you resolve a Name (FQDN, fully qualified domain name) to an IP address. If you are having to recuse to obtain an IP address, you can have a time out, which would resolve the next time you try and get the FQDN.

21. Jan 15, 2007 #20
    I wasn't saying DNS was IP. Just noting that it's not an IP problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?