Interpretation of homomorphism question

In summary, the conversation discusses the group operation of a homomorphism, \varphi, on a group represented by {{\mathbb{Z}}_{n}}. The question is whether the operation should be multiplication or addition, and it is not explicitly stated in the initial question. The general way to write this operation is \varphi(a)*\varphi(b), where * is the binary operation of the group being acted on. The group axioms for Z/nZ under multiplication should be checked to determine if it is a group.
physicsjock
Hey,

I had this question I thought i answered but now I'm questioning if the group operation is supposed to be addition and not multiplication.

The question [itex]\varphi :\mathbb{Z}\to {{\mathbb{Z}}_{n}}\,\,\,\,\,where\,\,\varphi (a)=\text{Remainder}\left( \frac{a}{n} \right)[/itex]

When I initially did it, I just mindlessly took the group operation to be multiplication where as it could be addition but it is not directly stated.

So do you guys think it would be multiplication to give
[itex]\varphi (a)\varphi (b)=\text{Remainder}\left( \frac{a}{n} \right)\times \text{Remainder}\left( \frac{b}{n} \right)[/itex]

or addition to give

[itex]\varphi (a)+\varphi (b)=\text{Remainder}\left( \frac{a}{n} \right)+\text{Remainder}\left( \frac{b}{n} \right)[/itex]

Either way its not a homomorphism but I want understand how it works properly.

Is the general way to write this [itex]\varphi (a)*\varphi (b)[/itex] where * is the binary operation if the group the homomorphism is acting on unless given?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Reduction modulo n is a group homomorphism. Now check the group axioms for Z/nZ under multiplication to see if you have a group. That should answer your question.

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations of the structures. In other words, it is a map that maintains the same mathematical structure between two objects.

2. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the operations of a structure, while an isomorphism also preserves the structure itself. This means that an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism.

3. What is the significance of interpreting a homomorphism?

Interpreting a homomorphism allows us to understand how two algebraic structures are related to each other and how they behave under certain operations. It is also useful in finding solutions to mathematical problems and proofs in abstract algebra.

4. What are some common examples of homomorphisms?

Some common examples of homomorphisms include addition, multiplication, and exponentiation in arithmetic, as well as linear transformations in linear algebra.

5. How do you determine if a function is a homomorphism?

To determine if a function is a homomorphism, you must show that it preserves the operations of the two algebraic structures. This can be done by showing that the function maps the operations of one structure to the corresponding operations of the other structure.