Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Interpretation Schrödinger's formulae

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    Dear Friends,

Does anybodi knows the meaning, or anything related to the term:

[tex] \Psi \nabla \Psi^* [/tex]

or

[tex] \Psi \nabla \Psi^* - \Psi^* \nabla \Psi [/tex]

Is the representation of something in the reality?

Best reggards.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a particle having a wavefunction [itex]\psi(\vec r, t)[/itex], then:

[tex]\vec J(\vec r,t)=\frac{\hbar}{2mi}(\psi^* \nabla \psi-\psi\nabla \psi^*)[/tex]

is the so-called probability current. It represents the flow of probability density, like electrical current is the flow of charge density.

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    Spinor?

Thanks, Galileo, but I'm trying to "imagine" what is, for example, one of the 2 terms:

[tex] \psi^* \nabla \psi[/tex]

Has it any meaning? Is a rotor of the nabla operator?

:smile:

5. May 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,it's just the ~ to the integral nucleus of the momentum operator.

Daniel.

6. May 8, 2005 #5
    Sorry if this is really basic, i'm no quantum guru yet :tongue:, but could you say that the (classical) velocity is in the direction where [tex]\vec J[/tex] has global max at a given [tex]t[/tex]? Is it possible somehow to calculate [tex]\vec v[/tex] from [tex]\vec J[/tex]?

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  7. May 9, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"(Classical) velocity" has nothing to do with the probability current density...

Daniel.

8. May 9, 2005 #7
    empirical

empirical experiments verify this formulae is ok?

9. May 9, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which formulae...?We can't measure [itex] \vec{j}\left(\vec{r},t\right) [/itex],but only probabilities.

Daniel.

10. May 9, 2005 #9
    Chr

Daniel,

I mean that if exists any experiment or example in real word that confirms that formula or some of its components. For example, if the probability to find a particle in some place or time has this formula...

11. May 9, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not an experimentalist and never will be,but i can assure that this simple part of QM has been fully checked and confirmed.We can't measure certain abstract things.Since QM is a probabilistic theory,all we can do is statistics.

Daniel.

12. May 9, 2005 #11
    tks Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook