How Can I Ace My Upcoming Internship Phone Interview?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's upcoming phone interview for a summer intern position in Extrusion Engineering. The speaker is feeling nervous due to being a mechanical engineer with a biology minor, while the position is for manufacturing engineers. The speaker is confident in their abilities but is worried about not being able to answer specific questions related to extrusion. They also seek advice on how to prepare for the interview and what questions to ask, particularly about the type of extrusion, reporting structure, and company culture. The speaker also mentions their interest in the specific area of Biomedical Engineering and asks for tips on how to appear confident during the interview.
duckmn56
I have a phone interview this monday the 12th coming up and I am extremely nervous.

This is the job description:
This summer intern will assist the Extrusion Engineering group with:
-Evaluation extrusion tooling maintenance, storage, and control.
- Support extrusion validation requirements (data collection, analysis, and reporting.

It is with the senior manufacturing engineer. I am a mechanical engineer with a biology minor and my school does have a strong emphasis on industry and manufacturing. So I feel like I am already at a disadvantage if they are interviewing manufacturing engineers. I feel confident I know enough to do the job or I am an adaptable and a quick learning person so anything I don't know I can learn, would be interested in learning, and would learn it during non-work hours.

I am nervous because I already had one interview where I did the general phone interview with an hr person and it was just general questions I did fine there and went onto the next one. Then I thought the interview went well but didn't get the position. Thinking back on it I found some thins that probably screwed me over as being a candidate. Not big things but I can see how they looked bad if another applicant didn't do or say them.

How should I prepare for this? I've already gone over all of the material I learned in my manufacturing processes class and unfortunately the next manufacturing class I have is next fall...

What kind of questions should I ask him and how many?
I was thinking of things like:

What kind of extrusion is this (materials involved etc.)?
Who I be reporting to/working under?
What do you like about working for (company)?

This job is in the specific area I think would like to get into (Biomedical Engineering) and go to grad school for so it would be a really big help in both deciding what I want to get into and getting my foot in the door... So I am even more nervous about it, because of all the med device companies I've applied to this is the first interview I have gotten in that area...
How can I calm myself so I come off as confident in my abilities as opposed to nervous and insecure?

Thanks for any help anyone is able to offer I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask what is the daily work route like ?

1. What should I wear to an internship interview?

It is important to dress professionally for an internship interview. This typically means wearing business attire such as a suit or dress pants and a collared shirt. Make sure your clothes are clean and wrinkle-free, and avoid wearing excessive jewelry or strong fragrances.

2. How can I prepare for an internship interview?

To prepare for an internship interview, research the company and the role you are applying for. Practice answering common interview questions and think of examples from your experiences that demonstrate your skills and qualifications. Also, make sure to have a copy of your resume and any relevant materials with you.

3. Is it okay to ask questions during an internship interview?

Yes, it is highly encouraged to ask questions during an internship interview. This shows that you are interested in the company and the position. Prepare a few questions beforehand that demonstrate your knowledge of the company and your curiosity about the role.

4. How long does an internship interview typically last?

The length of an internship interview can vary, but it typically lasts between 30 minutes to an hour. It is important to arrive early and allow for extra time in case the interview runs longer than expected.

5. What should I do after an internship interview?

After an internship interview, send a thank-you email or note to the interviewer(s) within 24 hours. This shows your appreciation for their time and reiterates your interest in the position. You can also follow up with the interviewer(s) if you have not heard back within the timeframe they specified.