Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Interview help (internship)

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    I have a phone interview this monday the 12th coming up and im extremely nervous.

This is the job description:
    This summer intern will assist the Extrusion Engineering group with:
    -Evaluation extrusion tooling maintenance, storage, and control.
    - Support extrusion validation requirements (data collection, analysis, and reporting.

It is with the senior manufacturing engineer. I am a mechanical engineer with a biology minor and my school does have a strong emphasis on industry and manufacturing. So I feel like im already at a disadvantage if they are interviewing manufacturing engineers. I feel confident I know enough to do the job or I am an adaptable and a quick learning person so anything I don't know I can learn, would be interested in learning, and would learn it during non-work hours.

I am nervous because I already had one interview where I did the general phone interview with an hr person and it was just general questions I did fine there and went onto the next one. Then I thought the interview went well but didn't get the position. Thinking back on it I found some thins that probably screwed me over as being a candidate. Not big things but I can see how they looked bad if another applicant didn't do or say them.

How should I prepare for this? Ive already gone over all of the material I learned in my manufacturing processes class and unfortunately the next manufacturing class I have is next fall....

What kind of questions should I ask him and how many?
    I was thinking of things like:

What kind of extrusion is this (materials involved etc.)?
    Who I be reporting to/working under?
    What do you like about working for (company)?

This job is in the specific area I think would like to get into (Biomedical Engineering) and go to grad school for so it would be a really big help in both deciding what I want to get into and getting my foot in the door... So I am even more nervous about it, because of all the med device companies ive applied to this is the first interview I have gotten in that area...
    How can I calm myself so I come off as confident in my abilities as opposed to nervous and insecure?

Thanks for any help anyone is able to offer I really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    Ask what is the daily work route like ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook