Interview with Intel, How should I prepare?

In summary, the conversation discusses an upcoming interview with Intel, where the position involves improving the efficiency and performance of microprocessor chips. The person has a background in physics and string theory, but is concerned about their lack of knowledge in circuits and electrical engineering. It is suggested to study basic circuits and semiconductor physics, but also to focus on showcasing their skills and not worrying about areas they are not familiar with. The conversation also touches on interview tips, such as dressing professionally and being prepared with questions for the interviewer.
gouranja
Hi,

I'm finishing my M.Sc. degree in physics, my focus being on string theory, and I have an interview with Intel in 3 weeks. The position involves improving the efficiency and performance of their microprocessor chips. I want to come to the inerview prepared.

I know a lot about Quantum Mechanics, QFT etc. but almost nothing about the engineering side of it, circuits and electrical engineering. I was told that I will be interviewed by their engineers and asked questions and such. What should I know, what should I learn?

Physics news on Phys.org
you could try to study some simple circuits and EE type stuff if you really are clueless, but my advice is just to go in and do what you do. If they want you to know something specific, they can tell you that and you can learn it. At the interview, they just want to be floored by shear brilliance.

You also have to think this is your first interview of many your going to have with them, so they arn't going to ask you everything all at once. It will probably be several little interviews.

Intel hires string theorists?

Congrats on getting an interview. You might want to study up on basic circuits, electronics, and semiconductor/solid-state/device physics, the last one being the most important I would think.

just worry about the very basics

Last edited:
Does the position involve advancing process technology, or advancing architecture and design techniques?

- Warren

leright said:
Intel hires string theorists?

They didn't hire me yet:smile: .
A lot of the techniques in Quantum Field Theory apply to solid state physics too, so it's not that far fetched. I chose string theory because it's interseting and hard, probably wasn't the smartest career move though.

chroot said:
Does the position involve advancing process technology, or advancing architecture and design techniques?

They didn't tell me, but I'm guessing process technology. What the hell do I know about circuit architechture?

Then I'd advise you to stay completely away from basic circuit theory -- unless you don't even remember how voltage and current work -- and study semiconductor fabrication or device physics instead.

At a minimum, you should probably know the MOSFET inside and out.

- Warren

Present yourself as you are. Intel wants you for wants on your resume. The interview is used to prove that you didn't lie on your resume. If there is nothing about circuit design on your resume, they won't expect you to know anything about it.

Shine up all the skills that you presented on your resume. Don't bother with anything else.

interested_learner said:
Present yourself as you are. Intel wants you for wants on your resume. The interview is used to prove that you didn't lie on your resume. If there is nothing about circuit design on your resume, they won't expect you to know anything about it.

Shine up all the skills that you presented on your resume. Don't bother with anything else.

That's a good point, IL. If you didn't put stuff like "circuit design" on your resume, chances are they won't ask you about it.

I hope you didn't lie. :smile: Though having a master's in physics certainly shows you can solve problems.

get a good nights sleep. and prepare some questions fot them, like what is their rewards plan.

this is a 2 way street, you are grtefukl they are interviewing you but you are also offering them somehting, your talent and hard work. so they should be a good fit for you as well.

whatever you do, do not wear a funky costume. I've heard of people wearing cat costumes and other nonsense to get the interviewers attention. that's a big no-no

i've never actually had an interview, but try not to seem nervous. you shouldn't be totally relaxed and putting your feet on desks or anything, but just try not to seem too worried when you talk to them

If I was an interviewer and someone showed up in a cat costume... :smile:. I'd tell them petsmart may be a better fit for them. Wear a suit to an intel interview, for sure. Or at least nice dress pants and a dress shirt.

Last edited:

Related to Interview with Intel, How should I prepare?

1. What should I research about Intel before the interview?

It is important to research Intel's history, products, services, and current projects. You should also familiarize yourself with the company's mission, values, and culture. Additionally, research the specific role you are interviewing for and understand the skills and qualifications required.

2. How should I prepare for technical questions during the interview?

Be prepared to discuss your technical skills and experience in detail. Review fundamental concepts and theories related to your field. Practice problem-solving and critical thinking. It may also be helpful to review any relevant coding or programming languages.

3. What are some common behavioral questions asked during an Intel interview?

Some common behavioral questions may include asking about your past work experience, your strengths and weaknesses, and how you handle challenges and conflict. Be prepared to provide specific examples and use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your answers.

4. How should I dress for an Intel interview?

It is important to dress professionally for an interview with Intel. This typically means wearing a suit or business attire. Avoid excessive jewelry, strong perfumes or colognes, and distracting accessories. Your appearance should be neat and polished.

5. What are some tips for a successful interview with Intel?

Some tips for a successful interview include arriving early, practicing good body language and eye contact, being confident and enthusiastic, and asking thoughtful questions about the company and role. It is also important to follow up with a thank-you note or email after the interview.