Intro to analysis proof first and second derivatives and mean value theorem

In summary, the statement "f(x) is greater than or equal to f(c) for all x in I" is true by contradiction.
reb659

Homework Statement

Let f(x) be a twice differentiable function on an interval I. Let f''(x)>0 for all x in I and let f'(c)=0 for some c in I. Prove f(x) is greater than or equal to f(c) for all x in I.

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

f''(x)>0 implies that f'(x) is strictly increasing on I. I don't know what to use the f'(c)=0 for, and whether or not to use the mean value theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does f''(x) indicate about f(x)? When you see this, you will realize how the f'(c)=0 comes into play.

It implies that f(x) is concave up?

It also implies c is a minimum by the second derivative test but we haven't covered that as of this section in our textbook.

I still can't figure this one out - I get the feeling the proof is much more simple than I think it is.

Apply the MVT. If f(c) is not a minimum then there is a d such that f(d)<f(c). Suppose d<c. What does the MVT tell you? You are right, the proof is not that hard.

The MVT tells me that there exists some Xo in [d,c] such that f'(Xo) = [f(c)-f(d)]/(c-d).

reb659 said:
The MVT tells me that there exists some Xo in [d,c] such that f'(Xo) = [f(c)-f(d)]/(c-d).

Sure. Is that quantity positive or negative?

It is negative. I'm still a bit puzzled as to how the mean value theorem relates to proving this problem.

Last edited:
reb659 said:
It is negative. I'm still a bit puzzled as to how the mean value theorem relates to proving this problem.

I don't agree with that. We assumed f(d)<f(c) and d<c. I think it's positive. You'll see how this problem relates to the MVT shortly. Feel free to jump ahead if you like.

Last edited:
Ah my mistake, the quantity is positive. I think I know where this is headed.

So f'(xo)>f'(c)=0 and c>xo. But f'(x) must be strictly increasing on I since f''(x)>0, and thus the statement must be true by contradiction.

Yes, exactly. That's where the f'(c)=0 comes in. And if d>c?

If d>c then f'(xo)<0 and xo>c. f'(c)=0 and f'(xo)<0. But this contradicts that f'(x) is strictly increasing. So the statement must be true.

reb659 said:
If d>c then f'(xo)<0 and xo>c. f'(c)=0 and f'(xo)<0. But this contradicts that f'(x) is strictly increasing. So the statement must be true.

So you have it then.

Thank you so much for your help!

What is an "Intro to analysis proof"?

An "Intro to analysis proof" is a mathematical proof that uses principles from real analysis to show the validity of a statement or theorem.

What are first and second derivatives?

In calculus, the first derivative of a function is the rate of change of that function at a specific point. The second derivative is the rate of change of the first derivative, or the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function.

What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

Why is the mean value theorem important?

The mean value theorem is important because it provides a way to connect the average rate of change of a function to its instantaneous rate of change. This allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a function without knowing its exact values at every point.

How is the mean value theorem used in real-world applications?

The mean value theorem is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to analyze and approximate the behavior of real-world phenomena. For example, it can be used to determine the average speed of an object given its initial and final positions and times, or to estimate the average growth rate of a population over a certain time period.