Introducing The Mystery X Game

In summary, the first poster says that X is the American alligator. The second poster says that X is the frog in the glass jar in my bedroom. The third poster says that X is the Yellowbellied Sap Sucker. The fourth poster says that X is 36 inches tall. The fifth poster says that X is 24 inches tall. The sixth poster says that X is the American alligator. The fifth poster says that X's jaws can exert thousands pounds of pressure per square inch when closing. The sixth poster says that X is the American alligator. The fifth poster says that X is not a mammal. The fifth poster says that X is the President of the United States. The fifth poster wins the round.
You know, you posted "One little extra rule : plurals, tense changes, etc (forms other than the root) are not considered new words. Okay ?" just before you posted "mavin." You made a new rule and then used it immediately, because if you hadn't made that rule then there could be "mavins" or "mavin."

X

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, should we allow dictionaries?

Should we allow words with dashes in them? Terms with spaces in them that are listed in the dictionary? Prefixes?

Last edited:
BicycleTree said:
You know, you posted "One little extra rule : plurals, tense changes, etc (forms other than the root) are not considered new words. Okay ?" just before you posted "mavin." You made a new rule and then used it immediately, because if you hadn't made that rule then there could be "mavins" or "mavin."

X
Rather clever of him, wasn't it? :rofl: At least he waited for a response and didn't just announce a new rule and proceed anyway.

I see no problem with people using dictionaries. You might have to (and we'd definitely need to be able to use them to confirm a challenge if needed), and this will make it a learning game too. I think there's enough skill involved that using a dictionary isn't an unfair advantage of any sort.

I would argue that if there's a space, then it's two separate words (I think that's what you're talking about, phrases in the dictionary). So, I'd say those wouldn't be allowed.

I'm not so sure about hyphenation. How about as long as it's not two separate words if you remove the hyphen, then hyphenated words are okay? Oh, but then if we do allow hyphens, do they need to be included as a character just like a letter is added, or are they sort of wild cards that can be assumed present at any place and any time?

Last edited:
BicycleTree said:

X
Okay, I forfeit my victory and hand over my wreath to you.

That was really just an experimental round...more for debugging purposes than anything else; and it did identify a bug anyway.

No hyphenated words allowed, or multiple word "words".

Last edited:
Xo

Victory! Xosa

BicycleTree said:

X
Gokul still wins because he was simply clarifying the rules, I was just about to post the same question and I knew exactly why he was asking the question. :approve: