1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to GR

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    Can someone suggest a book along the lines of "space-time physics"(wheelerand taylor) which gives conceptual clarity to study (self) along with Schutz GR
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    Hartle, Gravity.

Also, Taylor & Wheeler's Exploring Black Holes is a sort of sequel to Spacetime Physics.
  4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
    Also , what level of maths is a prerequisite ? I have studied calculus from Thomas and Finney and parts of ML Boas. Is it enough ? If what texts must I read .What further texts will aid my learning of this book as I plan to self study and dont have a teacher around.
  5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Multivariable calculus is sufficient for Hartle. He doesn't get into full tensor formulation until the last few chapters. But since you've studied out of Boas, that book has a chapter on tensors which you might find helpful to work through.
  6. Jun 22, 2010 #5
    And for Schutz ?
  7. Jun 22, 2010 #6
    Same really. Schutz teaches you everything you need at the very beginning and works through special relativity in that formalism. It might be helpful to review the linear algebra + tensor chapters in Boas just so you can move through the mathematics at a quicker pace and get to the physics.
  8. Jun 23, 2010 #7
    Special relativity: "A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime"
    General Relativity: "The Einstein theory of Relativity" by Lillian Lieber
    (the latter has also an excellent basic introduction to classic tensors
    and covariant differentiation)

Then move to Hartle and Schutz.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook