Introduction to GR: A Guide for Self-Study

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for books on space-time physics, particularly for self-study. The books suggested are Hartle's Gravity and Taylor & Wheeler's Exploring Black Holes, with a prerequisite of multivariable calculus. The conversation also suggests reviewing chapters on tensors and covariant differentiation from Boas before moving on to the recommended books.
ashrag
Hi
Can someone suggest a book along the lines of "space-time physics"(wheelerand taylor) which gives conceptual clarity to study (self) along with Schutz GR
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hartle, Gravity.

Also, Taylor & Wheeler's Exploring Black Holes is a sort of sequel to Spacetime Physics.

Also , what level of maths is a prerequisite ? I have studied calculus from Thomas and Finney and parts of ML Boas. Is it enough ? If what texts must I read .What further texts will aid my learning of this book as I plan to self study and don't have a teacher around.
Thanks

Multivariable calculus is sufficient for Hartle. He doesn't get into full tensor formulation until the last few chapters. But since you've studied out of Boas, that book has a chapter on tensors which you might find helpful to work through.

And for Schutz ?

Same really. Schutz teaches you everything you need at the very beginning and works through special relativity in that formalism. It might be helpful to review the linear algebra + tensor chapters in Boas just so you can move through the mathematics at a quicker pace and get to the physics.

Special relativity: "A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime"
General Relativity: "The Einstein theory of Relativity" by Lillian Lieber
(the latter has also an excellent basic introduction to classic tensors
and covariant differentiation)

Then move to Hartle and Schutz.

1. What is General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how mass and energy affect the geometry of space and time, and how objects move in this curved space-time.

2. Why is it important to study GR?

GR is important because it provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of gravity compared to Newton's theory. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and plays a crucial role in the fields of astrophysics, cosmology, and even modern technologies like GPS.

3. Can I learn GR without a background in physics or math?

While having some background in physics and math can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basic concepts of GR. This guide is designed to be accessible to self-studiers with a general interest in science.

4. What are some good resources for self-studying GR?

There are many resources available for self-studying GR, including textbooks, online lectures, and interactive simulations. Some popular options include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "General Relativity for Babies" by Chris Ferrie, and the "Einstein Toolkit" for simulations.

5. How long does it take to learn GR?

The time it takes to learn GR varies depending on the individual and their level of commitment. With regular study and practice, it is possible to gain a basic understanding in a few months. However, mastering the more advanced concepts and applications may take years of study and research.