Introduction to Vector calculations (Calculus 3)

In summary, the author is trying to solve for a, b, and c but is having difficulty because there are too many unknowns. Eventually, they find that a=-2c and b=c are true, and as long as those two conditions are met, the numbers inside the brackets will be arbitrary.
Pinedas42

Homework Statement

Find nonzero scalars a, b, c, such that au+b(u-v)+c(u+v)=0 for every pair of vectors u and v

This isn't a homework question, more of a conceptual exercise, but I want to understand it thoroughly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gone to u(a+b+c) + v(c-b)=0
then I couldn't quite figure where to go next. There is so many unknowns at once it's a little disorienting where to start first.

Then I figured to try splitting it into the vector pairs,
a(u1,u2)+b(u1-v1, u2-v2)+c(u1+v1, u2+v2)=0

but I am still stumped as to where to go from here. It seems like it's painfully simple but I'm not quite seeing it.

EDIT1: I've attempted putting the vectors in a system of equations;

u1a+u1b+u1c-v1b+v1c=0
u2a+u2b+u2c-v2b+v2c=0

but once again I hit a dead end and only get the scalars equaling zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pinedas42 said:

Homework Statement

Find nonzero scalars a, b, c, such that au+b(u-v)+c(u+v)=0 for every pair of vectors u and v

This isn't a homework question, more of a conceptual exercise, but I want to understand it thoroughly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gone to u(a+b+c) + v(c-b)=0
then I couldn't quite figure where to go next. There is so many unknowns at once it's a little disorienting where to start first.

Then I figured to try splitting it into the vector pairs,
a(u1,u2)+b(u1-v1, u2-v2)+c(u1+v1, u2+v2)=0

but I am still stumped as to where to go from here. It seems like it's painfully simple but I'm not quite seeing it.

EDIT1: I've attempted putting the vectors in a system of equations;

u1a+u1b+u1c-v1b+v1c=0
u2a+u2b+u2c-v2b+v2c=0

but once again I hit a dead end and only get the scalars equaling zero.
au+b(u-v)+c(u+v)=0 has to be true for any pair of vectors u & v.

u(a+b+c) + v(c-b)=0 is equivalent to au+b(u-v)+c(u+v)=0. So you can't count on anything from u(a+b+c) cancelling anything from v(c-b). Therefore, each of those has to be zero:
u(a+b+c) = 0

v(c-b) = 0​
The solution for a, b, and c, isn't unique, but you can find a solution that does the job.

So what I get is

a=-2c
and
b=c

the actual numbers inside will be arbitrary? just as long as a=-2c and b=c above are true?

Pinedas42 said:
So what I get is

a=-2c
and
b=c

the actual numbers inside will be arbitrary? just as long as a=-2c and b=c above are true?
That looks good.

Thanks, I think I just looked deeper than what the question actually pertained to. I need to learn to drop expectations I suppose. :P

Thanks again!

1. What are vectors and how are they different from scalars?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They can be represented by arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction. Scalars, on the other hand, are quantities that have only magnitude and no direction.

2. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract two vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

3. What is the dot product of two vectors and how is it calculated?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that represents the magnitude of one vector in the direction of the other. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to represent forces, velocities, and accelerations in physics, as well as displacement and velocity in engineering. In computer graphics, vectors are used to create 3D models and animations.