Invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}##

In summary, the participants discuss the problem of finding a transformation ##L## such that ##\hat \epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta} = L^{\mu}_{\delta}L^{\nu}_{\gamma}L^{\alpha}_{\theta}L^{\beta}_{\psi} \hat \epsilon^{\delta \gamma \theta \psi}## and manipulating it to show that it is equal to ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}##. They also discuss the determinant of a matrix and its transformation properties under the special orthogonal group ##SO^{\uparrow}(1,3)##. They provide a formula for the determinant in terms of the Levi-Civita
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Show that the components of the totally antisymmetric symbol ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## are invariant under transformation belonging to SO(3,1) group.
Relevant Equations
Hi, I'm reading some introductory notes about SR and I'm completely stuck at this problem. I imagine I should consider a transformation ##L## such that
$$ \hat \epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta} = L^{\mu}_{\delta}L^{\nu}_{\gamma}L^{\alpha}_{\theta}L^{\beta}_{\psi} \hat \epsilon^{\delta \gamma \theta \psi}$$
and somehow play around with the LHS to show it is equal to ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}##. Am I right ? Problem is I'm completely out of ideas.

Thanks
Ric

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\bar{\epsilon}^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\alpha} \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\beta} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\gamma} \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\tau} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau}.[/tex] The determinant of any [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrix, such as [itex]\Lambda[/itex], is given by [tex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\alpha} \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\beta} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\gamma} \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\tau} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} = \mbox{det}(\Lambda) \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}.[/tex] But for [itex]\Lambda \in \mbox{SO}^{\uparrow}(1,3)[/itex], [itex]\mbox{det}(\Lambda) = 1[/itex]. Thus, it follows that [itex]\bar{\epsilon}^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/itex], is invariant.

Likes JD_PM, dRic2, vanhees71 and 2 others
Thank you very much. I didn't know how to evaluate the determinant of a nxn matrix. Where did you learn such trick ?

samalkhaiat said:
[tex]\bar{\epsilon}^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\alpha} \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\beta} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\gamma} \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\tau} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau}.[/tex] The determinant of any [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrix, such as [itex]\Lambda[/itex], is given by [tex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\alpha} \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\beta} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\gamma} \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\tau} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} = \mbox{det}(\Lambda) \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}.[/tex] But for [itex]\Lambda \in \mbox{SO}^{\uparrow}(1,3)[/itex], [itex]\mbox{det}(\Lambda) = 1[/itex]. Thus, it follows that [itex]\bar{\epsilon}^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/itex], is invariant.
dRic2 said:
Where did you learn such trick ?

A magician never reveals his secrets... (?)

That formula for determinant is just a conveniently written form of the formula that you already know(the permutation sum). You basically have, by contracting the identity he has given over all free indices:
$$\det A = \frac{1}{4!}A^\alpha_{\hphantom{a}\mu} A^\beta_{\hphantom{a}\nu} A^\gamma_{\hphantom{a}\rho} A^\delta_{\hphantom{a}\sigma} \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}$$
for some ##4 \times 4## matrix ##A## (this is Leibniz formula). For ##n## dimensional case you'd have ##n## indices above.

We can try to check it like this:

First we remember the actual Leibniz formula for expanding the determinant:

$$\det A = \sum_\sigma \text{sgn}(\sigma_i) \prod_{i=1}^{n} A_{i,\sigma_i}$$
where ##\sigma## is a permutation of indices, and ##\text{sgn}(\sigma)## is its sign.
Now we notice that this can be rewritten in the form:
$$\det A = \sum_{i_1, \dots, i_n} \epsilon_{i_1 \dots i_n} A^1_{i_1}\dots A^n_{i_n}$$

This is because ##\epsilon_{i_1 \dots i_n}## is nonzero only if ##i_1, \dots, i_n## is a permutation of indices, and it equals the sign of this permutation.
In ##4## dimensions, this formula is written as(using Einstein summation convention for repeated indices):
$$\det A = \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} A^0_{\hphantom{a}\mu} A^1_{\hphantom{a}\nu} A^2_{\hphantom{a}\rho} A^3_{\hphantom{a}\sigma}$$

Now if we return to the first formula for determinant which we wanted to explain, if we formally sum that formula over indices ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, ##\gamma##, ##\delta##, we find the formula above(in that we use that epsilon is totally antisymmetric, and we use that ##\epsilon_{0123} = 1##, if that's the convention we use).
Finally, we would like to see if the transformation law that @samalkhaiat mentioned holds. For that, we just notice that the formula above is antisymmetric with respect to the indices marked by ##0##, ##1##, ##2##, ##3##. So if we want to make the equivalent formula to this with a random permutation of ##(0123)##, we would find the same formula, just multiplied by the sign of this permutation. But this sign is, as we said before, denoted exactly by ##\epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}##, where ##(\alpha\beta\gamma\delta)## is the chosen random permutation of ##(0123)##. Thus we have for every value of free indices:
$$(\det A) \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta} = \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} A^\alpha_{\hphantom{a}\mu} A^\beta_{\hphantom{a}\nu} A^\gamma_{\hphantom{a}\rho} A^\delta_{\hphantom{a}\sigma}$$

This explains the transformation law of ##\epsilon## symbol.
All in all, it's not a trick, it's just the normal determinant formula written in the form of a contraction.
It's a very convenient formula, and you'll probably find it useful on numerous occassions, so it's good to know.

Last edited:
Likes dRic2
Thank you very much

You only must be careful with the signs. If you are in Minkowski space it depends on the convention you use to define the Levi-Civita symbol. That's why if you use textbooks, papers, manuscripts you have to look for the definition of the Levi-Civita tensor's sign.

In my community (HEP/relativistic nuclear physics/heavy-ion collisions) the usual convention is that ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}## is totally antisymmetric under exchange of its indices, and ##\epsilon^{0123}=+1##, i.e., the Levi-Civita tensor with upper indices is the signature of the permutation of ##(\mu,\nu,\rho,\sigma)## relative to ##(0,1,2,3)##.

Then since ##\eta_{\mu \nu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## (note that you can use equally well the other sign convention here, but that doesn't change much in what follows) you have ##\mathrm{det} \hat{\eta}=-1## and thus
$$\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\mathrm{det} \hat{\eta} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}.$$
A related symbol are the generalized Kronecker-##\delta##'s defined on the space of totally antisymmetric tensors. It's a really invariant symbol, i.e., it's invariant under general basis changes, not only under those with determinant +1.

E.g., ##\delta_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}## is antisymmetric under exchange of both the lower and the upper indices, and it's ##+1## if ##(\alpha,\beta,\gamma,\delta)=(\mu,\nu,\rho,\sigma)##. With the above defined sign conventions you have
$$\delta_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\rho \mu \nu \sigma}.$$
For more details, see

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Appendix A.4 ff.

Likes dRic2 and Antarres
vanhees71 said:
[tex]\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\mathrm{det} \hat{\eta} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}.[/tex]
What you wrote is numerically correct (by choice), but covariantly horrible. In flat space-time, [itex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/itex] is a (Lorentz) tensor. Therefore, we can lower its indices using the (Lorentz) metric [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]: [tex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\ \eta_{\mu\alpha} \ \eta_{\nu\beta} \ \eta_{\rho\gamma} \ \eta_{\sigma\tau} = \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} . \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] This covariant expression ensures that the choice [itex]\epsilon_{0123} = -1[/itex] implies (and is implied by) [itex]\epsilon^{0123} = +1[/itex].

Now, with a simple trick, we can transform (1) into an extremely important equation. Using the fact that [itex]\mbox{det}(\eta) = - 1[/itex], we rewrite (1) as [tex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} \ \eta_{\mu\alpha} \ \eta_{\nu\beta} \ \eta_{\rho\gamma} \ \eta_{\sigma\tau} = - \mbox{det}(\eta) \ \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} . \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] In curved spacetime [ [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu} \to g_{\mu\nu}(x), \ \mbox{det}(\eta) \to g(x)[/itex]] our symbol [itex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/itex] is no loger a tensor, i.e., it does not transform as a tensor under general coordinate transformations. However, the curved space version of (2) is still valid: [tex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} \ g_{\mu\alpha} \ g_{\nu\beta} \ g_{\rho\gamma} \ g_{\sigma\tau} = - g(x) \ \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} .[/tex] If we rewrite is as [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} \ g_{\mu\alpha} \ g_{\nu\beta} \ g_{\rho\gamma} \ g_{\sigma\tau} = \sqrt{- g} \ \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} ,[/tex] we see that the corresponding (curved-space) totally antisymmetric tensor is given by [tex]\varepsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau} \equiv \sqrt{- g} \ \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\tau}, \ \ \ \varepsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{- g}} \ \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes dRic2 and vanhees71
Sure, but everywhere where you write "tensor" you should have written "tensor components".

Some time ago, when I started learning a little bit of tensors autonomously (I still don't know much though), a professor of mine told me to beware the fact that ##\epsilon## is not a tensor per se, but it becomes a tensor only if I multiply it by ##\sqrt{ |g|}## (is this formula right?), where ##g## is the metric tensor. In Euclidean and Minkowski space this might go unnoticed.
This came to my mind after reading your posts

Of course, if you consider general tensors, i.e., objects that are invariant under general coordinate transformations, which are not unimodular, then you must use
$$\Delta^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\frac{\sqrt{-g}} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}$$
and also
$$\Delta_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} = g_{\mu \alpha} g_{\nu \beta} g_{\rho \gamma} g_{\sigma \delta} \Delta^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\sqrt{-g} \epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma},$$
where ##g=\mathrm{det} (g_{\mu \nu})<0##.

Likes dRic2

1. What is the significance of the invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## in physics?

The invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}##, also known as the Levi-Civita symbol, is a mathematical concept that is used in many areas of physics. It is a tensor that represents the orientation of a coordinate system and is essential for understanding the laws of physics, such as electromagnetism and general relativity.

2. How is the invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## related to symmetry?

The invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## is closely related to symmetry in physics. It represents the symmetry of space and time, known as Lorentz symmetry, which is a fundamental principle in special relativity. This symmetry also plays a crucial role in the laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Can you explain the mathematical definition of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}##?

The mathematical definition of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## is a completely antisymmetric tensor with four indices. This means that it changes sign under any permutation of its indices. It is defined as 1 if the indices are in an even permutation, -1 if they are in an odd permutation, and 0 if any indices are repeated.

4. How is the invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## used in electromagnetism?

The invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## is used in electromagnetism to express the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. In Maxwell's equations, it appears in the equation for the electromagnetic wave, connecting the electric and magnetic fields and showing their inseparable nature.

5. What is the role of the invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## in general relativity?

In general relativity, the invariance of ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \alpha \beta}## plays a crucial role in the mathematical representation of spacetime curvature. It is used in the Einstein field equations to describe the gravitational field and its effects on the curvature of spacetime. It also appears in the definition of the stress-energy tensor, which represents the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime.