Degree p Invariants in Linear Tensor Products: Bishop & Goldberg, p. 86-87

In summary, an invariant I is of degree p if it is a linear invariant of the p-fold tensor product of the variable with itself, as stated in Bishop & Goldberg's book "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds". In problem 2.14.3, the authors show that (Tr A)p is an invariant of degree p, and clarify that it is not necessarily a linear function of the coefficients of A\otimes A etc. This is shown by considering the case of a scalar \lambda, where I(\lambda A) = \lambda^2 A, which is not equal to \lambda IA.
Rasalhague
An Invariant I is of degree p if it is a linear invariant of the p-fold tensor product of the variable with itself, that is,

[tex]IA=J(A\otimes ...\otimes A)[/tex]

- Bishop & Goldberg: Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, Dover 1980, p. 86

Problem 2.14.3. Show that (Tr A)p, where A is a tensor of type (1,1), in an invariant of degree p. [The fact that it is an invariant follows from the fact that Tr A is invariant. The question is whether (Tr A)2 is a linear function of the coefficients of [itex]A\otimes A[/itex] etc.]

- ~ p. 87

I think I've misunderstood their definition of an invariant. The pth power of the trace function seems to be homogeneous of degree p rather than linear:

[tex]I(\lambda A) = J((\lambda A)\otimes (\lambda A)) = (\text{Tr}\, \lambda A)^2[/tex]

[tex]=\lambda\lambda A^i_kA^r_m\delta^k_i\delta^m_r=\lambda\lambda A^k_kA^m_m=\lambda^2 (\text{Tr}\, A)^2= \lambda^2 IA \neq \lambda IA,[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a scalar. (Summing over like indices.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody required ##I## to be linear. We have ##I(\lambda A) = \lambda^2 A##. However, the full definition is unfortunately missing.

1. What is an Invariant of degree p?

An Invariant of degree p is a mathematical concept used in algebraic geometry to describe certain properties of algebraic varieties. It is a polynomial function that remains unchanged under certain transformations of the variables.

2. How is the degree of an Invariant determined?

The degree of an Invariant is determined by the highest degree of the monomials in the polynomial function. For example, if the polynomial has terms of degree 3 and 5, the degree of the Invariant would be 5.

3. What is the significance of Invariants in mathematics?

Invariants are important in mathematics because they can provide useful information about the structure and behavior of algebraic varieties. They are also used in the study of symmetry and in solving equations.

4. What is the relationship between Invariants and Symmetry?

Invariants and symmetry are closely related concepts. Invariants can be used to identify and classify symmetries in mathematical objects, and symmetries can be used to find and construct Invariants.

5. Are there different types of Invariants?

Yes, there are different types of Invariants, such as geometric Invariants, topological Invariants, and algebraic Invariants. These different types correspond to different aspects of the algebraic variety being studied.