What is the Inverse Derivative of f(x)=x^3+x at x=2?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the derivative of the inverse function of f(x)=x^3+x at x=2. It is determined using implicit differentiation and the correct answer is found by substituting x=2 into the equation 1/(3(x^3+x)^2 + 1).
Mach

Homework Statement

Assume the function f(x)=x^3+x has an inverse in R. Determine d/dx(f^-1(x)) at x=2.

Homework Equations

(f^-1(x))'=1/f'(f^-1(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

y'=3x^2+1

(f^-1(x))'=1/(3y^2+1)

now i substitute f^-1(2), y=10, into the equation but do not get the correct answer. I suspect that the mistake i am making is becuase i do not fully understand the question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
f^-1 is the functional inverse, not the reciprocal.

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = 3 x^2 + 1
[/tex]
using implicit differentiaion
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}} = \frac{1}{3 x^2 + 1}
[/tex]
accordingly replacing x by y
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{3 y^2 + 1}
[/tex]
i.e.
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{3 \left( {x^3 + x } \right)^2 + 1}
[/tex]
then you have only to substituting [tex] x=2 [/tex].

What is an Inverse Derivative?

An inverse derivative is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the original function from the derivative of that function. It is essentially the opposite of taking a derivative, hence the term "inverse."

Why is the Inverse Derivative important?

The Inverse Derivative is important because it allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in various applications such as optimization, curve fitting, and solving differential equations.

How is the Inverse Derivative calculated?

The Inverse Derivative is calculated using a process called integration. Integration is essentially the reverse of differentiation, and there are various techniques and methods for performing integration, depending on the function and its derivative.

What are some common techniques for finding the Inverse Derivative?

Some common techniques for finding the Inverse Derivative include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and u-substitution. These techniques are used to integrate different types of functions and their derivatives.

What are some real-life applications of the Inverse Derivative?

The Inverse Derivative has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.