Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
rootX
Messages
481
Reaction score
4
matlab:
>> ilaplace(exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3)

ans =

1/2*heaviside(t-1)*(t-1)^2*exp(-3*t+3)

But I think there should be an additional exp(3) multiplied by all.

=exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3
=exp(-1*(s+3)+3)/(s+3)^3
Taking out exp(-3t). In above step I did (s+3)+3 because exp(-3t) says all variables should be shifted by 3 ..
=[exp(-1*(s)+3)/(s)^3]*exp(-3t)
Now I take care anything but Heaviside
=[exp(-1*(s))]*exp(-3t)*[t^2/2]*exp(3)
now I take care of Heaviside
=exp(-3(t-1))*[(t-1)^2/2]*exp(3)

I might have made some error while explaining what I was doing - just ignore it. But, the thing I am concerned about is the one in red. It gives me exp(3) in the end which MATLAB does not.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


rootX said:
=exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3
=exp(-1*(s+3)+3)/(s+3)^3
Taking out exp(-3t). In above step I did (s+3)+3 because exp(-3t) says all variables should be shifted by 3 ..

This makes no sense. Are you trying to apply a frequency-shift or a time-shift? The [itex]e^{-s}[/itex] should correspond to a time shift. The rule for such is:

[tex]u(t-a)f(t-a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[e^{-as}F(s)][/tex]

where [itex]f(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[F(s)][/itex] and [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the Heaviside function.

In this case, you would take [itex]a=3[/itex] and [tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{(s+3)^3}[/tex]. What does that make [itex]f(t)[/itex]? And so [itex]f(t-a)[/itex] is___?
 


gabbagabbahey said:
This makes no sense. Are you trying to apply a frequency-shift or a time-shift? The [itex]e^{-s}[/itex] should correspond to a time shift. The rule for such is:

[tex]u(t-a)f(t-a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[e^{-as}F(s)][/tex]

where [itex]f(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[F(s)][/itex] and [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the Heaviside function.

In this case, you would take [itex]a=3[/itex] and [tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{(s+3)^3}[/tex]. What does that make [itex]f(t)[/itex]? And so [itex]f(t-a)[/itex] is___?

I was using the formula:

ILaplace{F(s-3)} = ILaplace{F(s)}e^3t
Yes exp(-as) corresponds to Heaviside but shouldn't it also be exp(-a(s-3)) if I want to take out e^3t (or use the above formula)?

For F(s-3) e^3t makes it F(s) or f(t) .. (?)
 


rootX said:
I was using the formula:

ILaplace{F(s-3)} = ILaplace{F(s)}e^3t
Okay, so you are doing a frequency shift first and then a time-shift.

So for the frequency shift you have:

[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-s}}{(s+3)^3}]=e^{-3t}\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-(s-3)}}{s^3}][/tex]

But when you apply the time-shift, you seem to be shifting the [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex]. Why would you do that? The [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex] is just a factor multiplying the stuff you are taking the inverse transform of; it shouldn't be affected.
 
Last edited: