Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ILaplace function in MATLAB to compute the inverse Laplace transform of a given expression. The steps involved in the process include shifting the variables by 3 and applying the Heaviside function. However, there is confusion over whether the time-shift should also affect the exponential factor in the expression.
rootX
matlab:
>> ilaplace(exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3)

ans =

1/2*heaviside(t-1)*(t-1)^2*exp(-3*t+3)

But I think there should be an additional exp(3) multiplied by all.

=exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3
=exp(-1*(s+3)+3)/(s+3)^3
Taking out exp(-3t). In above step I did (s+3)+3 because exp(-3t) says all variables should be shifted by 3 ..
=[exp(-1*(s)+3)/(s)^3]*exp(-3t)
Now I take care anything but Heaviside
=[exp(-1*(s))]*exp(-3t)*[t^2/2]*exp(3)
now I take care of Heaviside
=exp(-3(t-1))*[(t-1)^2/2]*exp(3)

I might have made some error while explaining what I was doing - just ignore it. But, the thing I am concerned about is the one in red. It gives me exp(3) in the end which MATLAB does not.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
=exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3
=exp(-1*(s+3)+3)/(s+3)^3
Taking out exp(-3t). In above step I did (s+3)+3 because exp(-3t) says all variables should be shifted by 3 ..

This makes no sense. Are you trying to apply a frequency-shift or a time-shift? The [itex]e^{-s}[/itex] should correspond to a time shift. The rule for such is:

[tex]u(t-a)f(t-a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[e^{-as}F(s)][/tex]

where [itex]f(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[F(s)][/itex] and [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the Heaviside function.

In this case, you would take [itex]a=3[/itex] and [tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{(s+3)^3}[/tex]. What does that make [itex]f(t)[/itex]? And so [itex]f(t-a)[/itex] is___?

gabbagabbahey said:
This makes no sense. Are you trying to apply a frequency-shift or a time-shift? The [itex]e^{-s}[/itex] should correspond to a time shift. The rule for such is:

[tex]u(t-a)f(t-a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[e^{-as}F(s)][/tex]

where [itex]f(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[F(s)][/itex] and [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the Heaviside function.

In this case, you would take [itex]a=3[/itex] and [tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{(s+3)^3}[/tex]. What does that make [itex]f(t)[/itex]? And so [itex]f(t-a)[/itex] is___?

I was using the formula:

ILaplace{F(s-3)} = ILaplace{F(s)}e^3t
Yes exp(-as) corresponds to Heaviside but shouldn't it also be exp(-a(s-3)) if I want to take out e^3t (or use the above formula)?

For F(s-3) e^3t makes it F(s) or f(t) .. (?)

rootX said:
I was using the formula:

ILaplace{F(s-3)} = ILaplace{F(s)}e^3t
Okay, so you are doing a frequency shift first and then a time-shift.

So for the frequency shift you have:

[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-s}}{(s+3)^3}]=e^{-3t}\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-(s-3)}}{s^3}][/tex]

But when you apply the time-shift, you seem to be shifting the [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex]. Why would you do that? The [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex] is just a factor multiplying the stuff you are taking the inverse transform of; it shouldn't be affected.

Last edited:

FAQ: Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3

1. What is the Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3?

The Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3 is equal to 1/2 * (t^2 + 3t + 2) * e^(-3t).

2. How is the Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3 derived?

The Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3 is derived by using the Partial Fraction Decomposition method and applying the appropriate Laplace transform rules.

3. What is the significance of the parameter "s" in ex(-s)/(s+3)^3?

The parameter "s" represents the complex variable in the Laplace transform, and it is used to transform the function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

4. Can the Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3 be calculated using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Bromwich integral or the Residue method that can be used to calculate the Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3.

5. What are the practical applications of the Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3?

The Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3 is used in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of complex systems.