1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace transform of ex(-s)/(s+3)^3

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    matlab:
    >> ilaplace(exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3)

ans =

1/2*heaviside(t-1)*(t-1)^2*exp(-3*t+3)

But I think there should be an additional exp(3) multiplied by all.

=exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3
    =exp(-1*(s+3)+3)/(s+3)^3
    Taking out exp(-3t). In above step I did (s+3)+3 because exp(-3t) says all variables should be shifted by 3 ..
    =[exp(-1*(s)+3)/(s)^3]*exp(-3t)
    Now I take care anything but Heaviside
    =[exp(-1*(s))]*exp(-3t)*[t^2/2]*exp(3)
    now I take care of Heaviside
    =exp(-3(t-1))*[(t-1)^2/2]*exp(3)

I might have made some error while explaining what I was doing - just ignore it. But, the thing I am concerned about is the one in red. It gives me exp(3) in the end which matlab does not.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: ilaplace(exp(-1*s)/(s+3)^3)

This makes no sense. Are you trying to apply a frequency-shift or a time-shift? The [itex]e^{-s}[/itex] should correspond to a time shift. The rule for such is:

[tex]u(t-a)f(t-a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[e^{-as}F(s)][/tex]

where [itex]f(t)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}[F(s)][/itex] and [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the Heaviside function.

In this case, you would take [itex]a=3[/itex] and [tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{(s+3)^3}[/tex]. What does that make [itex]f(t)[/itex]? And so [itex]f(t-a)[/itex] is___?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3

I was using the formula:

ILaplace{F(s-3)} = ILaplace{F(s)}e^3t
    Yes exp(-as) corresponds to Heaviside but shouldn't it also be exp(-a(s-3)) if I want to take out e^3t (or use the above formula)?

For F(s-3) e^3t makes it F(s) or f(t) .. (?)

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so you are doing a frequency shift first and then a time-shift.

So for the frequency shift you have:

[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-s}}{(s+3)^3}]=e^{-3t}\mathcal{L}^{-1}[\frac{e^{-(s-3)}}{s^3}][/tex]

But when you apply the time-shift, you seem to be shifting the [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex]. Why would you do that? The [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex] is just a factor multiplying the stuff you are taking the inverse transform of; it shouldn't be affected.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?