What is the Determinant of an Invertible 3x3 Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the determinant of an invertible 3x3 matrix A using the formula I*det(A)=A*adj(A). The solution to the problem is det(A)=16, which can be found by evaluating the element at position (2,2) of the matrix A*adj(A). This solution does not contain any unknown variables.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Let A be an invertible 3x3 matrix. Suppose it is known that:
A =
[u v w
3 3 -2
x y z]
and that adj(A) =
[a 3 b
-1 1 2
c -2 d]
Find det(A)

(answer without any unknown variables)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found A^(-1) to be equal to
(1/det(A)) * adj(A)

So, then re-arranging the formula;
I*det(A) = A*adj(A)
So then det(A) =
[u v w
3 3 -2
x y z]
[a 3 b
-1 1 2
c -2 d]

I know the solution to this problem is det(A) = 16. Therefore it must be that
[3 3 -2] * [3 1 2] = det(A)

But, what I am confused about is:
Why is the det equal only to the position (2,2) of the matrix A*adj(A)? As the solution is taken as the position a_(2,2)...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I*det(A)=A*adj(A) then you can evaluate any diagonal element to figure out det(A). a_(2,2) just happens to be the one you can figure out that doesn't have any unknowns in it. No big mysteries here.

Thanks again Dick for clearing this up for me!

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. It can be thought of as the "opposite" of the original matrix, and is denoted as A-1 for a matrix A.

2. Why is an inverse matrix important?

An inverse matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations that would otherwise be impossible. It also has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method. Both methods involve performing a series of row operations on the matrix until it is in reduced row-echelon form, and then applying a formula to obtain the inverse matrix.

4. When does a matrix not have an inverse?

A matrix does not have an inverse if it is singular, meaning that its determinant is equal to 0. In this case, the matrix is said to be "non-invertible" or "singular". This can occur when the matrix is not square or when the rows/columns are linearly dependent.

5. Can an inverse matrix be used to solve any type of equation?

No, an inverse matrix can only be used to solve systems of linear equations. It cannot be used to solve equations involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions, as these are non-linear equations.