1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of log function

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x) = log2 x + 3
    2 log2 x − 1
    how do i find the inverse of this? how do i find the range and domain of a log function?

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = log2 x + 3
    2 log2 x − 1

is equal to
    f(x) = log2 x + 3 - log2 (x − 1)2

D of f(x) = R of f-1(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried changing the base but it didnt work...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    also, is the inverse of

f(x) = 2x−1 + 3

log2 (x/3) +1 = y

f(x) = log2/3(x − 2) − 4

(2/3)x+4 + 2 = y

are these correct?
  4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ok. Your attempt was sadly, incorrect, although similar to something you were probably thinking of:

[tex]\log_c ( \frac{a}{b} ) = \log_c a - \log_c b[/tex],

which is not the same as what you tried: [tex] \frac{ \log_c a}{\log_c b} = \log_c a - \log_c b[/tex], which is not true.

It might help if you let [itex]u= log_2 x[/itex] so that you may view the problem easier. Doing so, solve the equation you have for you, replace the expression in x back in and solve it for x. Then swap your x and f(x), thats your inverse function!

For your second problem, not quite. Solve it for x first. So First take 3 to the other side,

[itex]2^{x-1} = f(x) - 3[/itex]. After that, take log_2 of both sides, hopefully you can see the rest. Then just swap x for f(x).

The last one looks correct, good work =]
  5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Presumably you know that the domain and range of any function of the form loga(x) is {x|x> 0} and all real numbers respectively.

You also should know that the domain of a rational function is all numbers such that the denominator is not zero.

Putting those together, the domain of loga(f(x))/loga(g(x)) is all x such that x is positive and g(x) is not 1 (so that log(g(x)) is not 0).
  6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    so the domain of the 1st one is x=>0 ? because log can never be zero or negative?

i still cant get the inverse tho...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?