1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse tangent proof

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    Show that [tex]\arctan{x} + \arctan {y} = \arctan { \frac{x+y}{1-xy} }[/tex] when [tex]x = \frac{1}{2}\ and \y = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] but not when [tex]x = 2\ and \y = 3[/tex]

I've tried taking the tangent of both sides but I don't know what to do then when I've got [tex]\tan ( \arctan{x} + \arctan{y} ) = \frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2
    Use the fact that [tex] \tan(u+v) = \frac{\tan u + \tan v}{1-\tan u \tan v} [/tex]

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see what the difficulty is. You are aske to show that this equation is satisfied when [itex]x= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] but not when x= 2 and y= 3.

Okay, plug those values in and evaluate. Courtrigrax's method would appear to be a general method of proving that it is an identity: true for all x and y which contradicts the problem!

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not clear what the problem is. You are asked to show that this equation is satisfied when [itex]x= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] but not when x= 2 and y= 3.

Okay, plug those values in and evaluate.

Courtrigrax's method would appear to be a general method of proving that it is an identity: true for all x and y, which contradicts the statement of the problem!

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5
    Ok, so I used the identity [tex] \tan(u+v) = \frac{\tan u + \tan v}{1-\tan u \tan v} [/tex] but all it does is bring me to the equation [tex]\frac{x+y}{1-xy} = \frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/tex]. I had tried substituting the values in before and found that the statement held true for both sets of x and y, but I assumed I must have done something wrong. I told my teacher and she said I was wrong :confused:

So have I messed up? Or does the equation hold true for x = 2 and y = 3 thus rendering the proof impossible?

7. Oct 19, 2006 #6
    The equation does not hold for x = 2 and y = 3. Just plug in the values. Also, can you see that it will work for [tex] x > -1 [/tex] , [tex] y < 1 [/tex]? Why is this?

It is because the left hand side is not defined if [tex] xy = 1 [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  8. Oct 20, 2006 #7
    I plugged in the values and got the following...

[tex]\arctan {2}\ + \arctan {3} = \arctan {-1}[/tex]
    [tex]2.35619... = -0.78539...[/tex]

However another solution to [tex]\arctan {-1}[/tex] is [tex]-0.78539... + pi = 2.35619...[/tex] which makes the statement hold true :confused: Am I not allowed to take anything other than the principal value? If so, why not?

Also, you said that [tex] x > -1 [/tex], [tex] y < 1 [/tex]. Are you saying that these are the only values of x and y that the equation will hold for? That doesn't seem to make sense, as if, for example, I use x = -5 and y = 10 the equation will still hold true.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  9. Oct 20, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

tangent(x) has a discontinuity at [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or approximately 1.57.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?