1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse trig functions with tan-1

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sin(tan-1(x))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    y=tan-1(x)
    tan(y)=x
    sec2(y)= 1+tan2(y)
    sec(y)=[tex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex]
    This is where I'm getting stuck. I know that I have to say that the sin(y)= whatever, but I'm not sure how to tie the sin sec and tan together. Is there a trig identity or should I make tan= [tex]\frac{sin}{cos}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

What exactly are you trying to do here? Are you trying to differentiate the first expression? It's not clear.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Draw a right triangle, labelled according to y = tan-1(x) or equivalently, tan(y) = x/1. One acute angle should be labelled y. The side opposite should be labelled x and the side adjacent should be labelled 1. From this you can figure out the hypotenuse.

What then is sin(y)?

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4
    Sorry, the problem says to simplify the expression. The final answer is supposed to be [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]

6. Jul 1, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sec(y)=1/cos(y). So you've got cos(y)=1/sqrt(1+x^2). To get sin(y) use sin^2(y)=1-cos^2(y).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook