Inverse trigonometric function integration

In summary: This will give you ∫x/(√36-\sin(\theta))= -∫1/\sin(\theta)+∫x+1/\sin(\theta)= -\frac{1}{2}\arcsin(\theta)+\frac{1}{2}\cos(\theta)
ande
I'm struggling to solve the following integral
∫ x/(√27-6x-x2)

my attempt is as follows:
∫x/(√36 - (x+3)2)
= ∫1/ √(36 - (x+3)2) + ∫x+1/ √(36 - (x+3)2)
= arcsin (x + 3)/6 + this is where I got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
ande said:
∫ x/(√27-6x-x2)

∫x/(√36 - (x+3)2)
= -∫1/ √(36 - (x+3)2) + ∫x+1/ √(36 - (x+3)2)

You seem to have missed a sign, which I inserted in red. In the second integral, remember the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{u}[/itex] requires du in the numerator, or -(x+3) in this case (the factor of 2 is canceled by the square root's power rule factor of 1/2). Can you decompose the fractions in an alternate way so that the numerator of the second fraction is x + 3 ? Then you can simply insert the factor of -1 in the usual manner.

You may also consider integration by parts. You know the derivative of x, and you know the integral of [itex]\frac{dx}{\sqrt{36 - (x+3)^2}}[/itex]. Use these two factors in the integration by parts formula.

Last edited:
Likes ande
ande said:
∫ x/(√27-6x-x2)

∫x/(√36 - (x+3)2)
= ∫1/ √(36 - (x+3)2) + ∫x+1/ √(36 - (x+3)2)
= arcsin (x + 3)/6 + this is where I got stuck.

@ande, please stop deleted the three parts of the homework template. Its use is required here, and also, deleting it is what's causing your posts to display in bold.

Likes ande
I don't know if you have noticed that your denominator quadratic factorises. You don't need to do this from scratch, you are nearly there by having expressed it as difference of two squares. Maybe you can use something like the method you are trying more effectively on that.

Edit: in fact I'm pretty sure so.

Last edited:
Likes ande
Integration by parts perhaps?

You know [tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}}[/tex]

So go from there.

[edit] Thought of a better answer, integration by substitution, let [tex]x+3=36\sin\theta[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes ande

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to calculate the angle measure of a right triangle when given the ratio of its sides. They are also known as arc functions or anti-trigonometric functions.

2. What is the purpose of using inverse trigonometric functions in integration?

The main purpose of using inverse trigonometric functions in integration is to simplify and solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. This helps to find the area under a curve or the value of a function at a specific point.

3. What are the commonly used inverse trigonometric functions in integration?

The commonly used inverse trigonometric functions in integration are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are used to find the inverse of sine, cosine, and tangent ratios, respectively.

4. How do you integrate inverse trigonometric functions?

The integration of inverse trigonometric functions involves using substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the type of inverse trigonometric function and the complexity of the integral.

5. What are some applications of inverse trigonometric function integration in science?

Inverse trigonometric function integration is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It helps to solve problems involving angles, oscillations, and periodic phenomena. For example, it is used in calculating the motion of a pendulum or the electric field of a dipole.