Invertible linear transformation

In summary, if V is finite-dimensional and S and T in HomV satisfy S\circ T = I, then T is invertible and S=T^-1. This can be shown by using the fact that S\circ T=1 implies T is injective and S is surjective, and then using the finite dimensionality of V to conclude that T is an isomorphism. An example of a situation where T is not invertible if only ST=I is given is when V is an infinite-dimensional vector space and T and S are linear operators that shift a sequence to the right and left, respectively. In this case, S\circ T=I but T\circ S\neq I, showing that T can
yifli

Homework Statement

State why it is that if V is finite-dimensional, and if S and T in HomV satisfy [tex]S\circ T = I[/tex], then T is invertible and S=T^-1

2. The attempt at a solution
Isn't this obvious? I don't understand why any elaboration is necessary

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yifli! :smile:

No, this isn't obvious. T invertible means

[tex]S\circ T=1~\text{and}~T\circ S=1[/tex].

Now you only have that [itex]S\circ T=1[/itex]. Somehow, you need to show [itex]T\circ S=1[/itex].

(Hint: use determinants)

You don't need to use determinants (or even matrices), and in fact doing so might introduce circular logic depending on what theorems you use.

Instead, answer this:

[tex]S\circ T = I[/tex]

implies that T is _____ and S is _____

(Fill in the blanks with either injective or surjective as appropriate.)

Then you'll need to use the finite dimensionality of V to draw a conclusion.

jbunniii said:
You don't need to use determinants (or even matrices), and in fact doing so might introduce circular logic depending on what theorems you use.

Instead, answer this:

[tex]S\circ T = I[/tex]

implies that T is _____ and S is _____

(Fill in the blanks with either injective or surjective as appropriate.)

Then you'll need to use the finite dimensionality of V to draw a conclusion.

implies T is injective and S is surjective
since V is finite dimensional, T is an isomorphism,so S = T^-1

micromass said:
Hi yifli! :smile:

No, this isn't obvious. T invertible means

[tex]S\circ T=1~\text{and}~T\circ S=1[/tex].

Now you only have that [itex]S\circ T=1[/itex]. Somehow, you need to show [itex]T\circ S=1[/itex].

(Hint: use determinants)

Can you give me an example that shows T is not invertible if only ST=I is given?

thanks

yifli said:
Can you give me an example that shows T is not invertible if only ST=I is given?

thanks

It has to be an infinite-dimensional example, as you just showed.

Let V be the vector space consisting of infinite sequences of the form

[tex](a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots)[/tex]

where the [tex]a_i[/tex] are real numbers. (Or complex. It doesn't matter.)

Addition and scalar multiplication are defined pointwise in the obvious way.

Let T be the operator that shifts the sequence right by one step:

[tex]T(a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots) = (0, a_1, a_2, \ldots)[/tex]

And let S be the operator that shifts the sequence left by one step:

[tex]S(a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots) = (a_2, a_3, a_4, \ldots)[/tex]

You can verify that these are linear operators, and that

[tex]S \circ T = I[/tex]

but

[tex]T \circ S \neq I[/tex]

T can be "undone" but S cannot.

yifli said:

thanks

With other things than vector spaces you mean?
Well, take T:{1}-> {1,2} with T(1)=1 and take S:{1,2}->{1} with S(1)=1 and S(2)=1.

What is an invertible linear transformation?

An invertible linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another. It is defined as a linear transformation that is both one-to-one and onto, meaning that each output vector has a unique input vector and vice versa.

How do you know if a linear transformation is invertible?

A linear transformation is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the transformation must not collapse any dimension or introduce any linear dependencies between the input and output vectors. In other words, the transformation must preserve the linear independence and span of the input vectors.

What is the inverse of an invertible linear transformation?

The inverse of an invertible linear transformation is another linear transformation that "undoes" the original transformation. It maps the output vectors back to their original input vectors. Mathematically, the inverse of a linear transformation T is denoted as T-1.

Why is an invertible linear transformation important in mathematics and science?

An invertible linear transformation is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations efficiently. It also has many applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, data compression, and cryptography.

Can a non-linear transformation be invertible?

No, a non-linear transformation cannot be invertible because it does not satisfy the properties of a linear transformation. A non-linear transformation may introduce distortions or nonlinear relationships between the input and output vectors, making it impossible to find a unique inverse.