1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverting OP AMP analysis solution problem

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Hello Physics Forums community, I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I have a circuits exam tomorrow, and though I grasp the majority of the material I'm having a hard time understanding the solution to a HW problem that I attached as a picture.

Problem: Show that the circuit has A=Vo/Vi= -k(R2/R1) where k= 1+ R4/R2 + R4/R3.

One of the issues is I have no clue how to derive: V1= -(R2/R1)VI

And also the KCL @ V1; I understand where -(V1/R2) comes from. and from where (V1-AV1)/R4 comes from. But I have no clue how the middle term, -V1/R1, is derived.
    Shouldn't it instead be -V1/R3?? Could this be a typo or am I just a n00b? If so, please help me out.

Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

"V1= -(R2/R1)VI " -- Remember that the output of the opamp will do whatever it has to to try to get the - input to match the + input voltage (ground in this case). So that defines the current from the source Vi through R1, which has to ALL flow through R2 (why?)

"Shouldn't it instead be -V1/R3??" -- Yes, that looks like a typo to me too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook