Investigating the Mass of Ice Melted by a 2.65g Aluminum Bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quantity of ice melted when a 2.65g aluminum bullet at 31.4°C is fired into a block of ice at 0°C. After considering the change in kinetic energy, the final answer is determined to be 2.23E-4kg. The formula used to calculate the change in kinetic energy is E_k = \frac{{mv^2}}{2}, where m represents mass and v represents velocity.
Boozehound
A 2.65g aluminum bullet at 31.4°C is fired at a speed of 209 m/s into a large block of ice at 0°C, in which it embeds itself. What quantity of ice melts?

Q=(9.00E2)(.00265)(31.4)=74.889J
74.889J=m(33.5E4)=2.23E-4kg

so i get a final answer of 2.23E-4kg but its wrong. i think I am either missing a step because I am not using the velocity of the bullet, or I am plugging wrong numbers in. any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to consider the change in kinetic energy, which i assume is all converted to heat energy, thus, increasing the temperature of the bullet.

what formula would i use for that? i looked in my book and i couldn't come up with a formula...

Well kinetic energy is given by [tex]E_k = \frac{{mv^2 }}{2}[/tex].

You can work out the initial kinetic energy by simply using m=0.00265, v=209, and then find a final kinetic energy, using the same mass, but v=0, since it has stopped in the ice. Then find the change in energy from those.

alright i got it thank you very much!

1. How do you measure the mass of the ice melted by the aluminum bullet?

The mass of the melted ice can be determined by measuring the mass of the aluminum bullet before and after it is fired into the ice. The difference in mass will be equal to the mass of the melted ice.

2. What is the significance of using an aluminum bullet in this experiment?

The use of an aluminum bullet allows for a more controlled and consistent experiment. Aluminum is a relatively lightweight and non-reactive metal, making it a suitable material for this type of investigation.

3. How does the mass of the aluminum bullet affect the amount of ice melted?

The mass of the aluminum bullet does not directly affect the amount of ice melted. However, a heavier bullet may have a greater impact force on the ice, resulting in a larger amount of ice melted.

4. Can this experiment be replicated with different types of bullets?

Yes, this experiment can be replicated with different types of bullets. However, the results may vary depending on the mass and material of the bullet used.

5. How does the initial temperature of the ice affect the results of the experiment?

The initial temperature of the ice may affect the results of the experiment as it can impact the melting rate. A colder initial temperature may result in a slower melting rate, while a warmer initial temperature may result in a faster melting rate.