Inviscid Incompressible Low Speed Flow Thrust in Nozzle: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
In summary: I must say that I'm not too familiar with this, but I think the pressure terms are neglected because they're balanced out by the pressure on the outside of the nozzle. Draw a control volume around the entire tank and you're looking at the thrust produced by the entire tank and the pressure on the outside of the nozzle is accounted for. I'm not sure why the pressure term is used at all, maybe it's useful to show how much of the thrust is produced by pressure. I'll have to think about that a bit more.In summary, the thrust produced by a convergent nozzle for inviscid, incompressible, low speed flow can be calculated using the momentum equation applied to a control volume. The
sid_galt
Applying the momentum equation to the control volume of a convergent nozzle for inviscid, incompressible, low speed flow, the thrust is

[tex]mV_{entry} - mV_{exit} + (P_{exit} - P_{ambient})A_{exit}[/tex]

where

[tex]m=A_{entry}*V_{entry}[/tex]mass flow per unit time
[tex]V_{entry}=[/tex]entry velocity from the front of the nozzle.
[tex]V_{exit}=[/tex]exit velocity of the nozzle air.
[tex]P_{exit}=[/tex]static pressure at exit
[tex]P_{ambient}[/tex]Ambient static pressure
[tex]A_{exit}=[/tex]exit area

For mass flow 4 mg, entry velocity 1 m/s, entry area 4 mm2, exit area 1mm2, exit velocity 4 m/s, the difference between exit and ambient static pressure is -9.225 Pa.

Thrust comes to 2.775E-6. Small but still there is thrust. Is it possible assuming the ideal conditions mentioned above?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I didn't go through your numbers, but .00000278 N? I challenge you to find something that could reliably measure that force. That is zero for all intents and purposes.

Also, your equation for mass flow is missing density. The equation you have is for volumetric flow rate.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply

FredGarvin said:
Also, your equation for mass flow is missing density. The equation you have is for volumetric flow rate.

Oops, forgot that. If density is included force is coming out to be a bit higher.

FredGarvin said:
I didn't go through your numbers, but .00000278 N? I challenge you to find something that could reliably measure that force. That is zero for all intents and purposes.

Still I find it strange that thrust could be produced like that. As for measurement, that's difficult and drag is going to be much more than the thrust anyway.

Momentum is mass flow rate times velocity for a fluid, so I would guess that you meant the mass flow is 4 mg/s, not 4 mg. It has to be per unit time. Therefore, density can be ignored, it's already accounted for by the momentum flux.

I'm imagining that you're trying to determine the thrust produced by a nozzle on a tank that has some pressure inside and you've put a control volume around the nozzle. If that's correct, then I think the pressure terms you show can be dropped, but not absolutely sure. Since the nozzle is connected physically to the tank, the axial force produced by the wall on the nozzle holding it to the tank would also have to be accounted for if you're trying to account for internal pressure. A static balance of the nozzle with a control volume around the nozzle that cuts through the tank wall has to include wall stress, but I don't think that's what you're after. It seems more like you're after thrust only, so put the control volume around the entire tank. If you do that, the thrust is just the momentum flux out of the nozzle which is mass flow times velocity. By putting the CV around the entire tank, you get rid of the pressure terms and don't have to worry about accounting for how that pressure is reacted by the shell of the tank and nozzle.

If I look at only the momentum flux out of the nozzle, that's just 4 mg/s * 4 m/s = 0.000016 N.

It's been a long time since I had to calculate something like this so I'll have to give it some more thought.

Last edited:
Q_Goest said:
Momentum is mass flow rate times velocity for a fluid, so I would guess that you meant the mass flow is 4 mg/s, not 4 mg. It has to be per unit time. Therefore, density can be ignored, it's already accounted for by the momentum flux.
That's true, but if one does not know what the mass flow rate is, it has to be calculated in order to get the momentum change.

Fred, I'd agree, the original question is missing some information. Either the "mass flow 4 mg" is actually 4 mg/s or we need to calculate mass flow and if that's the case, there's insufficient information. Pambient isn't given either.

SID, I think I know what your control volume looks like now, you put a control surface along the inside of the nozzle, which gives a force balance on that chunk of fluid. But that doesn't give you thrust, it's just the force balance on the fluid inside the nozzle. To determine thrust, draw the control surface around the entire thing, or just part of a control surface across the nozzle outlet which gives you Thrust = Mdot*V as I showed above.

Q_Goest said:
SID, I think I know what your control volume looks like now, you put a control surface along the inside of the nozzle, which gives a force balance on that chunk of fluid. But that doesn't give you thrust, it's just the force balance on the fluid inside the nozzle. To determine thrust, draw the control surface around the entire thing, or just part of a control surface across the nozzle outlet which gives you Thrust = Mdot*V as I showed above.

But wouldn't the ambient pressure reduce the thrust as the air coming out of the nozzle would actually have less static pressure than the static ambient pressure.

Static ambient pressure is 1E5 Pa
Static pressure of nozzle exit flow is (1E5 - 9.225) Pa

Then nozzle is in an airflow of 1 m/s

Hey Sid, I had to think about this and looked around the web a bit, but it seems there IS a small contribution due to pressure as you mention. There's a website here that gives a similar equation to the one you show:
http://www.braeunig.us/space/propuls.htm
and an example here:
http://www.braeunig.us/space/problem.htm#2.1

Note this equation doesn't show the momentum of the fluid entering the nozzle, possibly because it's simply being neglected.

1. What is inviscid incompressible low speed flow?

Inviscid incompressible low speed flow refers to a type of fluid flow in which there is no friction or viscosity present in the fluid, and the fluid density remains constant. This type of flow is typically observed at low speeds and is commonly modeled using the Euler equations.

2. What is a nozzle and how does it relate to flow thrust?

A nozzle is a device that is designed to accelerate a fluid by increasing its velocity. In the context of flow thrust, a nozzle is used to convert the potential energy of a fluid into kinetic energy, resulting in a thrust force that propels an object forward.

3. Is it possible to achieve inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle?

In theory, it is possible to achieve inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle. However, in reality, there will always be some level of friction and viscosity present in the fluid, which can affect the flow and make it less ideal.

4. What are the limitations of using inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle?

One of the main limitations of using inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle is that it does not take into account the effects of friction and viscosity, which can significantly impact the flow and reduce its efficiency. Additionally, this type of flow is only applicable at low speeds and may not be suitable for high-speed applications.

5. How is inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle relevant to real-world applications?

Inviscid incompressible low speed flow in a nozzle is relevant to various real-world applications, such as aircraft propulsion, rocket engines, and industrial processes. It provides a simplified model for understanding fluid flow and can be used to optimize the design of nozzles for maximum efficiency.