Ionize Hydrogen Gas: Can Heat Ionize It?

• Thread starter evan manalu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary: Since they sell Hydrogen gas discharge tubes,There is no need to purchase a specific type of discharge tube. Any type of discharge tube will work.
evan manalu
if I have vacuum chamber from steel then filled with hydrogen gas
and cook it like cooking soup
will the hydrogen ionized and become plasma?
can heat like that ionize hydrogen gas?
thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the steel will melt before you obtain temperatures high enough to ionize the hydrogen.

How heat to ionize hydrogen exactly?

This is really something you should be able to check with a simple Google search. Simply search for the ionization energy and compare to the Boltzmann constant.

Ionize energy hydrogen 13.5eV
And boltzman const 1.3806488 × 10-23 m2 kg s-2 K-1
Can you show me how to compare it..
Thanks before..

evan manalu said:
Ionize energy hydrogen 13.5eV
And boltzman const 1.3806488 × 10-23 m2 kg s-2 K-1
Can you show me how to compare it..
Thanks before..
Use the Boltzmann constant in units of eV/K. What is the SI unit of temperature?

Celcius

How about volt?
How volt to ionize hydrogen with distance of electrode 10cm
Any equation to explain this?

evan manalu said:
How about volt?
Impractical as well, if you want to know why there is this so called barrier-suppression ionization where a DC field modifies the Coulombic potential so that one side is suppressed below the unperturbed ground state energy. For hydrogen atom the critical field required to realize barrier-suppression ionization is 3.2x1010 V/m from which you can calculate the voltage. A more feasible way is by electron impact ionization.

evan manalu said:
Celcius

Wrong. The SI unit of temperature is Kelvin.

eV is not Volt, it is electron Volts, i.e., a measure of energy defined as the energy gained by an electron under acceleration of a 1 V electric potential.

evan manalu said:
if I have vacuum chamber from steel then filled with hydrogen gas
and cook it like cooking soup
will the hydrogen ionized and become plasma?
can heat like that ionize hydrogen gas?
thanks..
Since they sell Hydrogen gas discharge tubes,
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10652&langId=-1&catalogId=29104&productId=11417015&distype=0&fromSearch=0&hasPromo=0
At the right level of vacuum, flowing a current through hydrogen should ionize it.
I don't think you could do this in a conductive chamber, but rather something
where you could direct the electrical charge through the gas.

Without going into too much details, and just ignore "eV" for now, If you you cook hydrogen gas in a "magical" tank that will never melt, you will be able to ionize hydrogen gas eventually.

ugenetic said:
Without going into too much details, and just ignore "eV" for now, If you you cook hydrogen gas in a "magical" tank that will never melt, you will be able to ionize hydrogen gas eventually.
How will you realize this magical tank?

blue_leaf77 said:
How will you realize this magical tank?

My understanding only:
tank is only in our perception, an H2 that is going to be ionized only cares about the impact force of whatever particle/energy that is going to hit that h2. A hot surface of a tank, another hot gas, whatever really.

You can use RF waves to ionize hydrogen, or you can use a high voltage to cause the atoms to break down, or you can use a particle beam to collide with the hydrogen gas.

Radio Waves don't have what it takes to ionize hydrogen, can it?

I think I shouldn't have said RF waves, but you can use radiofrequency driven capacitors to generate a plasma, and you can use microwaves to heat a gas to plasma temperatures.

Khashishi said:
you can use a high voltage
Like how high?

1. Can heat ionize hydrogen gas?

Yes, heat can ionize hydrogen gas. When hydrogen gas is heated to a high temperature, the atoms gain enough energy to break apart and become ions. This process is called thermal ionization.

2. What temperature is needed to ionize hydrogen gas?

The temperature needed to ionize hydrogen gas is around 5000 degrees Celsius or 9000 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, the hydrogen atoms have enough energy to overcome the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron, resulting in ionization.

3. What is the process of ionizing hydrogen gas?

The process of ionizing hydrogen gas involves adding enough energy to the gas to break apart the atoms and create positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons. This can be achieved through various methods such as heat, light, or electrical discharge.

4. Can ionized hydrogen gas conduct electricity?

Yes, ionized hydrogen gas can conduct electricity. When the atoms of hydrogen gas are ionized, they become charged particles that are free to move, making the gas a good conductor of electricity.

5. What are the practical applications of ionized hydrogen gas?

Ionized hydrogen gas has several practical applications, including its use in plasma cutting and welding, as a fuel in rockets and other spacecraft, and in industrial processes such as semiconductor manufacturing. It is also used in scientific research, particularly in the study of plasma physics and fusion energy.