Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionize of hydrogen

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    if I have vaccum chamber from steel then filled with hydrogen gas
    and cook it like cooking soup
    will the hydrogen ionized and become plasma?
    can heat like that ionize hydrogen gas?
    thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the steel will melt before you obtain temperatures high enough to ionize the hydrogen.

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3
    How heat to ionize hydrogen exactly?

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is really something you should be able to check with a simple Google search. Simply search for the ionization energy and compare to the Boltzmann constant.

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5
    Ionize energy hydrogen 13.5eV
    And boltzman const 1.3806488 × 10-23 m2 kg s-2 K-1
    Can you show me how to compare it..
    Thanks before..

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6
    Use the Boltzmann constant in units of eV/K. What is the SI unit of temperature?

8. Mar 30, 2015 #7
  9. Mar 30, 2015 #8
    How about volt?
    How volt to ionize hydrogen with distance of electrode 10cm
    Any equation to explain this?

10. Mar 30, 2015 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impractical as well, if you want to know why there is this so called barrier-suppression ionization where a DC field modifies the Coulombic potential so that one side is suppressed below the unperturbed ground state energy. For hydrogen atom the critical field required to realize barrier-suppression ionization is 3.2x1010 V/m from which you can calculate the voltage. A more feasible way is by electron impact ionization.

11. Mar 30, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wrong. The SI unit of temperature is Kelvin.

eV is not Volt, it is electron Volts, i.e., a measure of energy defined as the energy gained by an electron under acceleration of a 1 V electric potential.

12. Mar 30, 2015 #11
    Since they sell Hydrogen gas discharge tubes,
    http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/serv...Id=11417015&distype=0&fromSearch=0&hasPromo=0
    At the right level of vacuum, flowing a current through hydrogen should ionize it.
    I don't think you could do this in a conductive chamber, but rather something
    where you could direct the electrical charge through the gas.

13. Mar 30, 2015 #12
    Without going into too much details, and just ignore "eV" for now, If you you cook hydrogen gas in a "magical" tank that will never melt, you will be able to ionize hydrogen gas eventually.

14. Mar 31, 2015 #13

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How will you realize this magical tank?

15. Apr 1, 2015 #14
    My understanding only:
    tank is only in our perception, an H2 that is going to be ionized only cares about the impact force of whatever particle/energy that is going to hit that h2. A hot surface of a tank, another hot gas, whatever really.

16. Apr 1, 2015 #15
    You can use RF waves to ionize hydrogen, or you can use a high voltage to cause the atoms to break down, or you can use a particle beam to collide with the hydrogen gas.

17. Apr 1, 2015 #16
    Radio Waves don't have what it takes to ionize hydrogen, can it?

18. Apr 1, 2015 #17
    I think I shouldn't have said RF waves, but you can use radiofrequency driven capacitors to generate a plasma, and you can use microwaves to heat a gas to plasma temperatures.

19. Apr 1, 2015 #18

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like how high?

20. Apr 1, 2015 #19
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook