Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ions and Lorentz Force

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    Untitled.png When ions collide with oppositely charged electrodes, do they experience a Lorentz force as they gain or lose electrons? Is there a force, ignoring the repulsion of the positive electrode, in the direction of the blue arrow depicted here?

Only information I find is on ionic fluids.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You are making several leaps of assumptions here that appears to turn this into something rather specific.

First of all, what exactly are you trying to learn here? Is it simply a general concept of what happens, in general, when ions hit the respective electrodes? Or do you specifically want, as depicted in your figure, the special case where a negative ion hit a positive electrode, and then this ion doesn't form anything else but moves (?) on? (see your figure).

Note that this type of phenomenon is often used in coating stuff. The ions are attracted to the charged surface, and they then bind to that surface, forming a thin coat, i.e. they don't move on. So it is hard to know if you just want to understand this in general, or of something more specific.

Zz.

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3
    In an imperfect vacuum, where current is carried by ionized gas molecules, will the gas molecules experience such a lorrentz force?

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As long as there is a charge, and there is a net electric field, there will always be a Lorentz force. Whether that force and produce what you and I want, or be described very simply, that's a different question.

Zz.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5
    Thank you. If you were searching for information for such a specific case, what would you google?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook