Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iridium Flares

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Does anyone else regularly observe them?

I started off slowly, using the Heavens Above website. But everyone knows it's a gateway site.

Now I have the app on my phone. I can get alerts in time to run outside in my socks to see them, or drag my entire family outside to show them. That's right, I'm not just an addict; I'm a dealer too.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Um, regularly? No, but I did work at it for a month or two a couple of years ago until I got a good pic.

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was watching them regularly for a while. They're awesome. I had an app and everything.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4

Borek

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Niiiiiice.

Do you know what the magnitude on that flare was projected to be? Best I've ever seen is -9.

7. Apr 12, 2012 #6

Borek

No idea, it was soooo long ago.

Then, I have the information about when and where the picture was taken, so probably it can be checked.

Edit: I guess it was at least -1 or -2, as I don't look up if they are darker than that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. Apr 12, 2012 #7
    I really enjoy watching them, and also use the Heavens-Above site regularly. I do think the maximum brightness from what I've read is -9. I think I've seen a daylight flare some years back as well, but did not check the computer to confirm.
    My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.

9. Apr 12, 2012 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah. I did the same thing with my kid! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook