Is a B in Calculus 1 and 2 the end for me?

In summary, a first year CS and math major shares their experience of failing all their class tests due to poor time management, but still managing to get a B in the class with a 74% and 100% on their finals. They are worried that this B will hurt their chances of getting into a top 5 MS program in computer science. However, others share their own experiences of getting B's and even C's in math courses but still going on to obtain PhDs. They advise the student to use this experience as motivation to improve and to focus on upper level courses they truly enjoy. They also reassure the student that one grade will not ruin their career opportunities.
EmSeeSquared
Hi all,

So I'm pretty devastated(and I'm to be blamed). I'm a first year cs and math major. So the thing is my math course is a full year course with 5 class tests and 2 finals(worth 2/3 of the final mark)

Slacking off and poor time management gave me the privilege of failing all my class tests. However for the finals I managed to pull out a 74% and a 100% in my 2 papers respectively giving me a B overall for the class(75% is an A in my system).

So yeah, although my 2 last marks were acceptable my final grade is a B(my own fault). Now the thing is I'm scared my career is over since I was aspiring on going into a top 5 for an MS in Computer Science.

Will that B hurt me as maths is my second major? I got As in the rest(CS, Applied. Math, Physics and Probability and Stats).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the requirements for entry into an MS program in computer science where you are, but a B in a class will definitely not be the end of your career.

The courses only get more difficult as you go, so you're going to have to work on your time management and study skills. What you've done to get by in this class isn't going to fly in junior/senior level courses. You also need to prepare yourself for the possibility of not making perfect straight A's anymore when you start taking higher level courses. I think it's good that this happened earlier on so you can learn to cope with not making an A in every course and it doesn't completely devastate you when you're in 3rd or 4th year.

Likes EmSeeSquared
I got a B in calculus in high school, and I got a PhD in math. I have heard of people failing it and getting PhDs. I even got C's in diff eq and linear algebra. I just made a big come back later on because I changed my major to math from EE and then smoked all the proof-based courses and impressed the hell out of my professors in the last two years. I barely got into grad school (only one place out of five took me), but I did it.

Likes EmSeeSquared
I'm not saying everyone who gets a B or even an A in calculus is capable of getting a PhD--the PhD is about a googloplex to the googloplex power times as difficult as calculus, so I don't mean to be TOO encouraging, but it just doesn't rule you out by a long shot.

Likes EmSeeSquared
Don't feel discouraged by this one grade. Use it as a motivator to improve in the courses you're taking now and those you will take in the future. I know of people who have gotten B's in Calc I, and even slightly lower grades in undergrad math, but they went on to obtain PhDs in MIT, Harvard, and the like.

Likes EmSeeSquared
Thanks people. It's nice too see some great comeback. This setback is what has become my motivation to do better. My love for math is still here, I probably was just lost. But this experience has been an eye opener. :)

Just one quick note... At the beginning of my undergrad career I was one of those didn't study didn't do his homework jerks.
I ended up getting a 2.15 gpa for my first year. I pulled my head out of my butt, and actually started paying attention and had a 3.7 or higher in every semester after that. Even though my cum GPA suffered, I didn't suffer at all for applying for masters programs and jobs, because people understand that people change. You'll be fine! :)

Also another note I found that the more advanced EE classes were actually easier. I know it sounds weird, but at least for me the more interested I am in a topic, the more effort I put in and the easier it is too learn. This was true for many of my classmates as well. Even though it was still difficult, we found the material enjoyable therefore we had no problems putting in the effort. make sure you like your upper level classes!

Likes EmSeeSquared
donpacino said:
Just one quick note... At the beginning of my undergrad career I was one of those didn't study didn't do his homework jerks.
I ended up getting a 2.15 gpa for my first year. I pulled my head out of my butt, and actually started paying attention and had a 3.7 or higher in every semester after that. Even though my cum GPA suffered, I didn't suffer at all for applying for masters programs and jobs, because people understand that people change. You'll be fine! :)

Also another note I found that the more advanced EE classes were actually easier. I know it sounds weird, but at least for me the more interested I am in a topic, the more effort I put in and the easier it is too learn. This was true for many of my classmates as well. Even though it was still difficult, we found the material enjoyable therefore we had no problems putting in the effort. make sure you like your upper level classes!

Same here. I didn't study, didn't do my homework. But in the end I decided I had to work and managed to do decent in my finals. I hope I've changed for the better. Deep down I love what I do, just was lazy. Now I'm looking forward to next year where I will do more in depth stuff which I'm sure I'll really enjoy. :)

1. What is the significance of getting a B in Calculus 1 and 2?

A B grade in Calculus 1 and 2 may not be ideal but it is still a good grade. It shows that you have a solid understanding of the material and have performed well in the course. It is a respectable grade and should not be considered the end.

2. Will getting a B in Calculus 1 and 2 limit my future opportunities as a scientist?

No, getting a B in Calculus 1 and 2 will not limit your future opportunities as a scientist. While grades are important, they are not the only factor in determining your success as a scientist. Your knowledge, skills, and experience are also important factors in your career path.

3. Can I still pursue a career in science with a B in Calculus 1 and 2?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in science with a B in Calculus 1 and 2. Many successful scientists have not received perfect grades in all their courses. What matters most is your dedication, passion, and hard work towards your chosen field of study.

4. Should I retake Calculus 1 and 2 if I got a B?

Retaking Calculus 1 and 2 is not necessary if you received a B grade. Unless you are planning to pursue a career in a highly math-intensive field, a B grade is still considered a good grade and reflects a strong understanding of the material.

5. How can I improve my grade in Calculus 1 and 2?

If you are not satisfied with your B grade in Calculus 1 and 2, you can improve your grade by seeking help from your professor or a tutor, studying consistently, and practicing problems regularly. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can also help you perform better in the course.