Is a Circle Considered a Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a function and whether a circle can be considered a function. It is established that a circle, in a Cartesian coordinate system, does not correspond to a function, but in a polar coordinate system it can. The definition of a function as a "black box" is also mentioned, and alternative functions that can generate a circular plot are presented. The conversation concludes with a clarification that a graph and a function are not the same thing.
Loren Booda
I was brought up believing that when a mapping had more than one ordinate (y) for a particular abscissa (x), it did not describe a function. So is a circle not a function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
correct.....

The so-called "vertical test" will always tell u the answer.In the case of the circle,there are an infinite number of portions/arches (is this the word?? :confused: ) which are functions.

Daniel.

<pointing out what a function is> A function from where to where?

There is some semantics involved.
Since a circle is a geometrical figure, the wording: 'is a circle a function' has no meaning.
For the same reason, a parabola is not a function, but the graph of the function is.

...doh, I `m getting old and picky. Nevermind... :redface:

Indeed, even if we interpret "is a parabola a function" to mean "is a relation whose graph is a parabola a function" we would have to specify the coordinate system. A parabola whose axis is parallel to the y-axis corresponds to a function but exactly the same parabola, in a rotated coordinate system would not be.

(Notice I switched from "circle" to "parabola". A circle, in any coordinate system, does not correspond to a function.)

HallsofIvy said:
A circle, in any coordinate system, does not correspond to a function.
In any carthesian coordinate system.
In a polar coordinate system, it does.

I mathematics, a function is a sort of black box - you put something in, and it spits something out. (There are other ways to think of them as well.) Now, you ask whether a circle is a function, and the answer is clearly no, since a circle is typically a set of points.

In the familiar (I suppose it could be called cartesian) system, there is no function that whose plot is a circle. In a polar or parametric system functions can readily have circular plots.

It is also relatively easy to see that:
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
generates the plot of a half circle - which can often be used instead.

NateTG said:
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
generates the plot of a half circle - which can often be used instead.
That is: [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

The plot of
[tex]f:[0,2\pi) \to \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=(cos(x),sin(x))[/tex]

is a circle.
Or is this cheating?

This is the "non-cartesian function" people were mentioning. The question, from what i can tell, boils down to the fact that the OP thinks a graph and a function are the same thing.

Related to Is a Circle Considered a Function?

Is a Circle a Function?

No, a circle is not a function in the context of mathematics. In mathematical terms, a function is a relationship between two sets, typically denoted as \(f(x)\), where for each input \(x\) from the domain, there is exactly one corresponding output in the codomain. A function cannot have multiple outputs for the same input.

What is a Circle in Mathematics?

In mathematics, a circle is a two-dimensional geometric shape defined as the set of all points that are a fixed distance (radius) away from a central point (center). The equation of a circle with center \((h, k)\) and radius \(r\) is given by \((x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2\).

Why Isn't a Circle Considered a Function?

A circle is not considered a function because it fails to satisfy the fundamental property of a function, which is that each input (x-coordinate) corresponds to a unique output (y-coordinate). In the case of a circle, for a given x-coordinate, there are generally two y-coordinates (one above and one below the circle).

What is the Vertical Line Test?

The Vertical Line Test is a graphical test used to determine whether a graph represents a function. If any vertical line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the graph does not represent a function. The Vertical Line Test helps identify functions and non-functions visually.

How Can I Represent a Circle as a Function?

To represent a circle as a function, you can define two separate functions: one for the upper half of the circle (the upper semicircle) and another for the lower half (the lower semicircle). For example, for a circle with center (0, 0) and radius \(r\), you can use two functions:

• For the upper semicircle: \(y = \sqrt{r^2 - x^2}\)
  • For the lower semicircle: \(y = -\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}\)

These functions will provide unique outputs for each x-coordinate within the domain of the circle.

Are There Other Geometric Shapes That Are Functions?

Yes, there are geometric shapes that can be represented as functions. For example, a straight line (linear equation) is a function because it passes the Vertical Line Test. Other functions can represent parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas, and more.

Where Can I Learn More About Functions and Geometric Shapes in Mathematics?

You can learn more about functions and geometric shapes in mathematics by referring to mathematics textbooks, geometry textbooks, online educational platforms, and math-related courses. These resources provide in-depth explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you understand these concepts.