1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a circle a function?

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    I was brought up believing that when a mapping had more than one ordinate (y) for a particular abscissa (x), it did not describe a function. So is a circle not a function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    correct..................

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The so-called "vertical test" will always tell u the answer.In the case of the circle,there are an infinite number of portions/arches (is this the word?? :confused: ) which are functions.

Daniel.

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<pointing out what a function is> A function from where to where?

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is some semantics involved.
    Since a circle is a geometrical figure, the wording: 'is a circle a function' has no meaning.
    For the same reason, a parabola is not a function, but the graph of the function is.

...doh, I `m getting old and picky. Nevermind... :redface:

7. Jan 13, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Indeed, even if we interpret "is a parabola a function" to mean "is a relation whose graph is a parabola a function" we would have to specify the coordinate system. A parabola whose axis is parallel to the y-axis corresponds to a function but exactly the same parabola, in a rotated coordinate system would not be.

(Notice I switched from "circle" to "parabola". A circle, in any coordinate system, does not correspond to a function.)

8. Jan 13, 2005 #7
    In any carthesian coordinate system.
    In a polar coordinate system, it does.

9. Jan 13, 2005 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mathematics, a function is a sort of black box - you put something in, and it spits something out. (There are other ways to think of them as well.) Now, you ask whether a circle is a function, and the answer is clearly no, since a circle is typically a set of points.

In the familiar (I suppose it could be called cartesian) system, there is no function that whose plot is a circle. In a polar or parametric system functions can readily have circular plots.

It is also relatively easy to see that:
    [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
    generates the plot of a half circle - which can often be used instead.

10. Jan 14, 2005 #9
    That is: [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

11. Jan 14, 2005 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The plot of
    [tex]f:[0,2\pi) \to \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]
    [tex]f(x)=(cos(x),sin(x))[/tex]

is a circle.
    Or is this cheating?

12. Jan 14, 2005 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is the "non-cartesian function" people were mentioning. The question, from what i can tell, boils down to the fact that the OP thinks a graph and a function are the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook