Is a double major worth it? (Physics, chemistry)

In summary: ing if you want to get a good job in forensics if you want to do things like do ballistics or toxicology.
hawkeye295
Yes, another one of these threads. GET OVER IT! Just kidding LOL.

A few disclaimers: I do have a practical reason for considering a double major. A career path I have been strongly considering in the past two years is to become a forensic scientist (crime lab technician). Also, this isn't just a "CSI phase", because I've read several books and web-articles on the actual aspects of the career. Plus, I don't watch those shows anyway. Jeopardy! is my favorite.

It might be a bit naïve to think a double major gives you better employment prospects, but I honestly don't see why not in this case, considering both fields can be applied on the job (ballistics, toxicology, accident reconstruction, etc.)

Do you think all of the extra work would be worth it? I asked the physics department at the school I'm attending and they recommended the "materials science" track. I checked it out, and it seems like that's more of an engineering route.

If it's stupid and unrealistic, don't be afraid to say so. I can handle it. I'd be willing to settle with a different science or math related career.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lab technicians only do one thing. They do molecular biology. They do chemical analysis. They do ballistics. They don't do all three. Your job is to carry out these analysis perfectly, because a lot of it depends on it. Therefore, you can't do one thing one day, then another the other. At your lab you are to be the expect in one or several related analysis methods. If people rotate, no one knows anything.

Engineering is completely unrelated. You then will be building stuff, solving engineering problems, rather than doing lab analysis.

If you already exactly know what you want to do, combining two science degrees are never worth it. But then again, people here sometimes seem to have a different definition of a 'double major' or 'double degree'. To me it means you get two degrees, but you get some shortcuts in having to do only one thesis or internship and shared courses of course cut down the ECTS from 360/6 years to something more manageable. Others seem to mean to just get the same amount of credits, but just divide it among two subjects.

They probably direct you to material science at the physics department because physics has so little to do with forensics.
Like most science subjects, material science can also be taught the engineering way or the science way.

Likes hawkeye295
If you have the time and the strength to learn more, then learning more is better than learning less. Even so, as Almeisan suggests, be careful about taking short-cuts. You may need more time for double-major

Likes hawkeye295

1. Is a double major in physics and chemistry worth the extra time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your personal and career goals. If you plan to pursue a career in a field that combines both physics and chemistry, such as material science or biophysics, then a double major can be extremely beneficial. It also shows employers that you have a diverse and well-rounded education.

2. Will a double major in physics and chemistry increase my job opportunities?

Having a double major in physics and chemistry can open up a wider range of job opportunities. It shows potential employers that you have a strong academic background in both fields and have the ability to think critically and analytically about complex scientific problems.

3. Is it difficult to balance a double major in physics and chemistry?

Balancing a double major in physics and chemistry can be challenging, as both fields require a significant amount of time and effort. However, with good time management and organizational skills, it is possible to successfully complete a double major. It is important to also prioritize your workload and communicate with your professors if you are feeling overwhelmed.

4. Will a double major in physics and chemistry increase my earning potential?

A double major in physics and chemistry can potentially increase your earning potential, as it demonstrates a strong academic background and diverse skill set. However, it is important to note that earning potential also depends on other factors such as experience, location, and industry.

5. Can I pursue a double major in physics and chemistry if I am not strong in math?

While both physics and chemistry do involve a significant amount of math, it is not impossible to pursue a double major if you are not strong in math. It may require extra effort and dedication, but with the right resources and support, it is possible to succeed in a double major in physics and chemistry.