Is a faulty power supply causing my motherboard to fail?

• Thread starter EMANUELI
  • Start date
In summary, the user's computer shutdown when running in a normal mode and when he tried to switch on after the first shutdown, it displayed the error "cmos checksum error-default leaded". The second time it shutdown, he wasn't able to boot up at all. He tried many times but it doesn't work. He noticed that the computer was going to quit on him prior to the problem starting and tried to update the bios, but it didn't help. He also tried to take out all unnecessary cards, but that didn't help. He tried booting in safe mode, but that didn't help. He tried using a select start to see what was hanging, but that didn't work either. Finally, he
EMANUELI
I have a P3 Aeopen Motherboard model "MX36LE" with 733MGHZ processor and 8GBHDD installed WIN 98. It hapened that my computer shutdown when running in a normal mode. The thing is when i tried to switch on after the first shutdown, it displayed the error "cmos checksum error-default leaded" and then onother error massage "No 80 channel IDE/ATA cable installed" I tried second time and it loaded windows perfectly but after a long run it shutdown again and this time i wasn't able to boot up at all. I tried many times but it doesn't work.Everything is connected to the motherboard pafectly including all cables and cards also cmos battery is a new one. Any help with this i will i be very very apriciate to get out of this mess please help me i am starck!

Computer science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by can't boot up? What can you pass (memory check, windows boot screen)?

Have you tried to update the bios?

I haven't tried to update bios at all ! If i do try to update bios will it work? When i say i can't boot up i mean i can't pass memory.I can't even hear the boot up tone from the speaker.The strange thing is the the cpu fan and the power supply are running but the screen is compleately off. Do you have any suggestion of what I can do,I appreciate your help.

Did you make any changes to the system, hardware or software, prior to the problem starting?

Have you noticed any other hints that the computer was going to quit on you prior to the problem starting?

Can you start in safe mode? Can you use a select start to see what is hanging?

Try to take out all unnecessary cards like sound and network. Also take out the unnecessary ide devices like the cdroms. All you should have is a keyboard, a video card and a floppy hooked up. Make sure you have the ribbion connected correctly to the floppy by having the red colored side match pin 1. If that still doesn't work, try finding an alternate video card that you know works. If that still doesn't work you might have a busted motherboard.

If you can get it to boot again, try updating the bios and see if that helps the situation

dduardo said:
Try to take out all unnecessary cards like sound and network. Also take out the unnecessary ide devices like the cdroms. All you should have is a keyboard, a video card and a floppy hooked up. Make sure you have the ribbion connected correctly to the floppy by having the red colored side match pin 1. If that still doesn't work, try finding an alternate video card that you know works. If that still doesn't work you might have a busted motherboard.

If you can get it to boot again, try updating the bios and see if that helps the situation
I did follow all the instruction which you gave to me. Thanks for all of your good and quick reponce especially Dduardo(technology mentor)! I just found out that i have been using a bad power supply which lead to the motheboard failure. I will try to change a power supply and see if the motherboard is still active.If the problem still their and fortunatelly boot up once again i will update Bios and if not i will have to buy another motherboard. I really apreciate youre help and please keep this site running as long as you can cause it helps a lot ! .Thanks once again. ciao!

What is a "bootup problem"?

A bootup problem refers to any issue that prevents a computer or electronic device from starting up or booting properly. This can include hardware or software malfunctions, corrupted files, or errors in the operating system.

What are some common signs of a bootup problem?

Common signs of a bootup problem include a blank or black screen, error messages, slow or unresponsive performance, and unexpected shut downs or restarts.

How can I troubleshoot bootup problems?

There are several steps you can take to troubleshoot bootup problems. First, try restarting the device. If that doesn't work, check for any loose connections or hardware issues. You can also try booting in safe mode or using system recovery tools. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

What causes bootup problems?

Bootup problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including hardware malfunctions, software conflicts, corrupted files, viruses, or outdated drivers. User error or improper shutdowns can also contribute to bootup problems.

How can I prevent bootup problems in the future?

To prevent bootup problems, it is important to regularly update your operating system and antivirus software, properly shut down your device, and handle hardware with care. It is also a good idea to back up important files in case of unexpected issues.