Is accumulation point = adherent point in a closed set?

In summary, a set is considered closed if and only if it contains all of its adherent points, which includes both its accumulation points and any isolated points. This can be explained by the fact that adherent points that are not accumulation points are already included in the set. Examples of sets that illustrate this concept include a singleton set, which has no accumulation points, and a set that consists of an open interval and a single point, where the set of accumulation points is a closed interval.
kadas
A set S is closed iff it contains all its adherent points iff it contains all its accumulation point?

From what I know, in general accumulation point is a subset of adherent point, but if supposed I have a closed set, then the "if and only if" forces me to conclude that accumulation point = adherent points.

Supposed they are not equal, then since having all accumulation points inside the set already makes it a closed set, then a closed set doesn't necessarily contains all its adherent points which contradicts the definition.

Sorry if this is an easy question, but then if my reasoning is wrong, please help me to correct it. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A point, p, is an "adherent" point of a set, A, if and only if every neighborhood of p contains a member of A.

A point, p, is an "accumulation" point of a set, A, if and only if every neighborhood of p contains a member of A other than p itself.

The difference is that if p is in A, then it can be the "member of A" in every neighborhood in the definition of "adherent" point. There need not be any other member of A anywhere close to p.

That is, a point is an "adherent point" of a set, A, if it is either an accumulation point of A or a member of A. The two "if and only ifs": "if and only if it contains all of its adherent points"= "if and only if it contains all of its accumulation points" works because any adherent point that is not an accumulation point is already in the set. However, you certainly can have "adherent points" that are NOT accumulation points. That is, points in the set that are not accumulation points- they are called "isolated" points.

For any point, p, the singleton set, {p}, is closed. Its only "adherent" point is p itself. It has no accumulation points.

For another example, consider the subset of the real line [itex]A= (0, 1)\cup \{2\}[/itex]- that is, the open interval from 0 to 1 and the point 2. The set of all accumulation points is the closed interval [0, 1]. The set of all adherent points is [itex][0, 1]\cup \{2\}[/itex]. 2 is an isolated point- it is in the set, so an adherent point, but not an accumulation point.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, awesome. Now I understand how the "if and only if" parts works. How stupid of me not to think of an example of singleton. Thanks!

1. What is an accumulation point in a closed set?

An accumulation point in a closed set is a point where an infinite number of elements in the set are arbitrarily close to it. This means that the point can be approached from any direction, but it may or may not be a part of the set itself.

2. How is an accumulation point different from an adherent point in a closed set?

An adherent point in a closed set is a point that is actually a part of the set itself. It is also known as a limit point. In contrast, an accumulation point may or may not be a part of the set.

3. Can a closed set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a closed set can have multiple accumulation points. This is because there can be multiple points where an infinite number of elements in the set are arbitrarily close to it.

4. Is every adherent point in a closed set also an accumulation point?

Yes, every adherent point in a closed set is also an accumulation point. This is because an adherent point is a point that is a part of the set itself, and by definition, an accumulation point is a point where an infinite number of elements in the set are arbitrarily close to it.

5. How do you determine if a point is an accumulation point in a closed set?

To determine if a point is an accumulation point in a closed set, you need to check if there is an infinite number of elements in the set that are arbitrarily close to that point. This can be done by checking if there is a sequence of points in the set that converges to the given point.