Is Aut(A) Isomorphic to Aut(B) for Cyclic Groups of Different Orders?

• Thread starter chibulls59
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the isomorphism between Aut(A) and Aut(B) where A and B are cyclic groups of order 9 and 7, respectively. The individual has proven that both Aut(A) and Aut(B) are cyclic, but questions how they can be isomorphic if they have different orders and number of generators. Another person points out that they cannot be isomorphic and suggests that there may be an error in the problem or in the computation of Aut(A) and Aut(B). The original person realizes their mistake and understands that the two groups cannot be isomorphic due to 9 not being a prime number.
chibulls59

Homework Statement

If A=<x> is a cyclic group of order 9 and B=<y> is a cyclic group of order 7. Deduce that Aut(A) is isomorphic to Aut(B)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already proved that Aut(A) and Aut(B) are cyclic but I don't understand how they can be isomorphic if they don't have the same order. Also the groups are don't have the same amount of generators since both groups are cyclic so every element of both Aut(A) and Aut(B) are generators.

Physics news on Phys.org
chibulls59 said:
I already proved that Aut(A) and Aut(B) are cyclic but I don't understand how they can be isomorphic if they don't have the same order.
They can't be. So you've either shown the problem is in error, of you've computed Aut(A) and Aut(B) incorrectly.

Oh I got it, for some reason I thought 9 was a prime number.

Related to Is Aut(A) Isomorphic to Aut(B) for Cyclic Groups of Different Orders?

1. What are isomorphic automorphisms?

Isomorphic automorphisms are a type of mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object, such as a group or a vector space. In other words, it is a mapping that maintains the same relationships and operations between elements of a mathematical object.

2. How are isomorphic automorphisms different from other types of automorphisms?

Isomorphic automorphisms are a specific type of automorphism in which the structure of the mathematical object is preserved. Other types of automorphisms, such as inner automorphisms, may change the structure of the object.

3. What is the significance of isomorphic automorphisms?

Isomorphic automorphisms are significant in mathematics because they allow us to study different mathematical objects that have the same structure. This can provide insight into the properties and behaviors of these objects and help us understand them better.

4. How do you determine if two mathematical objects are isomorphic?

To determine if two mathematical objects are isomorphic, you need to find a mapping between them that preserves their structure. This means that the mapping must maintain the same relationships and operations between elements of the objects. If such a mapping exists, the objects are considered isomorphic.

5. Can isomorphic automorphisms exist in real-world applications?

Yes, isomorphic automorphisms can exist in real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, in quantum mechanics, isomorphic automorphisms can be used to study the symmetries of particles and their interactions. In computer science, isomorphic automorphisms can be used to analyze the structure and behavior of complex systems.