Understanding the Rheopectic Properties of Blood: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, a teacher once told me that blood is a non-Newtonian, rheopectic, pseudo plastic fluid. I get the non-Newtonian/pseudo plastic part, but I can't understand why blood is rheopectic...is it or not? Thanks for the information.
Valentina Chianese
Hello everyone, I need your help.

A teacher once told me that blood is a non-Newtonian, rheopectic, pseudo plastic fluid.
I get the non-Newtonian/pseudo plastic part, but I can't understand why blood is rheopectic...is it or not?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Valentina Chianese said:
rheopectic, pseudo plastic fluid.
Aren't those terms mutually exclusive?
You should look them up.

My understanding of physics is close to 0, I had serious problems with the pseudo plastic part alone so I'm not able to go further by myself...

Valentina Chianese said:
I can't understand why blood is rheopectic...is it or not?
What have you found with your Google searching? I found this pretty quickly, which seems to imply that blood is not but synovial fluids (lubrication in your body's joints) are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheopecty
Examples of rheopectic fluids include gypsum pastes and printer inks. In the body synovial fluid exhibits the extraordinary property of inverse thixotropy or rheopexy.[2]

Besides, what survival characteristic would be a reason for blood to have this property?

berkeman said:
What have you found with your Google searching? I found this pretty quickly, which seems to imply that blood is not but synovial fluids (lubrication in your body's joints) are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RheopectyBesides, what survival characteristic would be a reason for blood to have this property?
Yes I found that, it was the firts result. Also, I found absolutely nothing about blood being rheopectic, which seems to imply that it just isn't. And that's why I'm asking directly in this forum. I'm still doubtful because my comprehension of the subject is almost 0 so I have to rely on faith (faith on the absence of references about blood being rheopectic implying it isn't) or faith in the expert that told me it is. I hoped someone could explain to me in a simple manner why it is or why it isn't.

Valentina Chianese said:
or faith in the expert that told me it is.
Maybe ask them for a reference?

Likes Ibix

1. What is a rheopectic fluid?

A rheopectic fluid is a type of non-Newtonian fluid that becomes more viscous or resistant to flow when stress or force is applied to it. This means that the fluid's viscosity increases as the shear rate increases, resulting in a thickening effect.

2. Is blood considered a rheopectic fluid?

Yes, blood is considered a rheopectic fluid. This is because it contains red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets, which can change their shape and arrangement when stress is applied, causing the blood to become more viscous.

3. How is the rheopectic behavior of blood important in the body?

The rheopectic behavior of blood is important in the body because it allows for the regulation of blood flow. When stress is applied to the blood vessels, the blood becomes more viscous, which helps to prevent excessive blood loss in case of injury. It also helps to maintain a steady flow of blood throughout the body.

4. Can the rheopectic behavior of blood be affected by certain diseases or conditions?

Yes, certain diseases or conditions can affect the rheopectic behavior of blood. For example, conditions that cause an increase in the number of red blood cells, such as polycythemia, can make the blood more viscous. This can lead to an increased risk of blood clots and other cardiovascular problems.

5. How is the rheopectic behavior of blood measured?

The rheopectic behavior of blood can be measured using a device called a rheometer. This instrument applies a controlled stress or force to a sample of blood and measures the resulting changes in viscosity. Other methods, such as viscometry and rotational rheometry, can also be used to measure the rheopectic behavior of blood.