1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Cauchy's integral formula applicable to this type of integral?

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to determine if Cauchy's integral formula will work on the following integral, where the contour C is the unit circle traversed in the counterclockwise direction.

[tex]\oint_{C}^{}{\frac{z^2+1}{e^{iz}-1}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    See Cauchy's Integral Formula - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_integral_formula" [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I realize that there is a pole at z=0. I realize that if I could get this integral into the form

[tex]\frac{f(z)}{z}[/tex],

with f(z) being analytic in and on the contour C, then I could use the formula. However, I'm not sure how to get the integrand in that form. Is it even possible to use Cauchy's integral formula on this integral, or do I need to use a different method to evaluate this integral?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    Ok, so it appears that I need to use the residue theorem in order to evaluate this integral. I was hoping I could just use the integral formula. I haven't got to study the residue theorem yet in my text. Thanks

5. Mar 12, 2009 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The residue thorem is a simple use of the integral formula.
    write f(z)=[z*f(z)]/z

6. Mar 13, 2009 #5
    so are these the steps:

do a laurent expansion of denominator
    cancel with stuff in the numerator
    then the coefficient of the [itex]z^{-1}[/itex] term gives us the residue
    multiply this by [itex]2 \pi i[/itex] to give the integral's value

im not too sure about the first of those two steps???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook