Is Completing the Square Necessary for Finding Optimal Points in Calculus?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mlb123
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, it seems that the person is having trouble understanding why they need to use completing the square instead of setting the partial derivatives to 0 to find if (0,0,0) is an optimal number for the given function f(x,y,z). The expert suggests completing the square and provides a step-by-step process to do so. However, the expert also mentions that there may be critical points that are neither a maximum or minimum.
mlb123
So I have a function f(x,y,z)=3+4(x^2)-9(z^2)-4xy-12yz. I need to find if (0,0,0) is an optimal number. I know I have to get it into the form of 3+(___)^2+(___)^2+(___)^2 or 3-(___)^2-(___)^2-(___)^2 to find if it's a max or min. But I've been working on this all day to no avail. Any help would be useful and appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This was posted under "Calculus" so it seems strange that you would be required to use "completing the square" rather than setting the partial derivatives to 0. It that really so?

Assuming that you really need to complete the square, I would write
[tex]f(x,y,z)= 3+ 4x^2- 9z^2- 4xy- 12yz= 3+ 4(x^2- yx)- 9(z^2+ (4/3)yz)[/tex]
[tex]f(x,y,z)= 3+ 4(x^2- yx+ y^2/4- y^2/4)- 9(z^2+ (4/3)yz+ (4/9)y^2- (4/9)y^2)[/tex]
[tex]f(x, y, z)= 4(z- y/2)^2- 9(z+ 2y/3)^2+ 3- y^2+ 4y^2[/tex]
[tex]f(x, y, z)= 4(z- y/2)^2- 9(z+ 2y/3)^2+ 3y^2+ 3[/tex].

(You are aware, are you not, that there are some critical points that are neither a max nor a min?)

HallsofIvy said:
This was posted under "Calculus" so it seems strange that you would be required to use "completing the square" rather than setting the partial derivatives to 0. It that really so?

Assuming that you really need to complete the square, I would write
[tex]f(x,y,z)= 3+ 4x^2- 9z^2- 4xy- 12yz= 3+ 4(x^2- yx)- 9(z^2+ (4/3)yz)[/tex]
[tex]f(x,y,z)= 3+ 4(x^2- yx+ y^2/4- y^2/4)- 9(z^2+ (4/3)yz+ (4/9)y^2- (4/9)y^2)[/tex]
[tex]f(x, y, z)= 4(z- y/2)^2- 9(z+ 2y/3)^2+ 3- y^2+ 4y^2[/tex]
[tex]f(x, y, z)= 4(z- y/2)^2- 9(z+ 2y/3)^2+ 3y^2+ 3[/tex].

(You are aware, are you not, that there are some critical points that are neither a max nor a min?)

Yes, it is really so. That's why I wasn't understanding the question as much - it didn't want me to answer the question in the manner that I would normally turn to. Thank you for your help, as it confirms the answer that I got a few days ago a little after I posted this.

Related to Is Completing the Square Necessary for Finding Optimal Points in Calculus?

1. What is meant by "Checking Optimal Points"?

"Checking Optimal Points" refers to the process of evaluating and analyzing data in order to determine the most favorable or advantageous points or conditions. This can be done in various fields such as economics, mathematics, and engineering, among others.

2. Why is it important to check for optimal points?

Checking for optimal points is important because it allows us to make informed decisions based on data and evidence. By identifying the most favorable points, we can maximize efficiency, minimize costs, and achieve the best outcomes in various scenarios.

3. What are some common methods for checking optimal points?

Some common methods for checking optimal points include mathematical optimization, sensitivity analysis, and simulation. These techniques involve using mathematical models and statistical tools to identify the optimal points in a given system or process.

4. Can checking optimal points be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, checking optimal points can be applied in real-world situations in various industries and fields. For example, businesses can use it to determine the best pricing strategy, engineers can use it to design efficient systems, and healthcare professionals can use it to optimize treatment plans.

5. Are there any limitations to checking optimal points?

There can be limitations to checking optimal points, as it is based on data and assumptions that may not always accurately reflect real-world situations. Additionally, it may not always be feasible or practical to identify and implement the optimal points in certain scenarios.