Is expired condom safe to use?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of using expired condoms for birth control and the potential harm of expired lubricant on the genitals. The experts advise against using expired products and suggest purchasing new ones. They also caution against taking health advice from strangers on the internet and making assumptions about the members of an online forum.
kenny1999
I truly understand expired condom is definitely not safe for birth control or sexual disease.
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals?

Biology news on Phys.org
It's not the lube that expires. That's almost always silicon based.

It's the integrity of the latex that expires.

So this is sort of a false dichotomy.

kenny1999 said:
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals
You should never take health advice from people you don't know, especially on the internet.

That being said, the lubricant is almost certainly not going to harm you. When health products expire, mostly what happens is that they simply degrade and stop being effective for their intended purpose. They almost certainly will not degrade into something toxic or harmful.

But Big Don hit the nail on the head. It's the silicon that expires - it stops being pliable - resulting in a high risk of rupture*.*of the condom, not of you (or any part of you).

kenny1999 said:
I truly understand expired condom is definitely not safe for birth control or sexual disease.
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals?
Bin what you have and buy some new ones. Problems solved

pinball1970 said:
Bin what you have and buy some new ones. Problems solved
Bold of you to assume the problem has yet to occur rather than having already occurred.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
You should never take health advice from people you don't know, especially on the internet.
And especially concerning hazards to your genitals... :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
The fact that you are asking physicists says something about your life choices. (What do physicists use for birth control? Their personalities.)

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, Frabjous, BillTre and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
The fact that you are asking physicists
That's somewhat a bold assumption that all members on PF are physicists.

DaveC426913 said:
Bold of you to assume the problem has yet to occur rather than having already occurred.
I was assuming he was being sensible to ask the question before potential problems…

A bit premature of me probably.

1. Is it safe to use an expired condom?

No, it is not safe to use an expired condom. Condoms have an expiration date for a reason, as the materials used to make them can deteriorate over time. This can cause the condom to break or tear, increasing the risk of pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

2. How long after the expiration date can I still use a condom?

It is recommended to not use a condom after its expiration date has passed. However, if the condom is only a few months past its expiration date and has been stored properly, it may still be effective. It is always best to use a condom that is within its expiration date.

3. Can I still use a condom if it has been stored in a hot or cold environment?

No, it is not safe to use a condom that has been stored in extreme temperatures. Heat and cold can damage the materials of the condom, making it less effective. It is important to store condoms in a cool, dry place.

4. What are the risks of using an expired condom?

The risks of using an expired condom include an increased chance of pregnancy and STIs. Expired condoms are more likely to break or tear, leaving you and your partner unprotected. It is important to always use a condom within its expiration date to ensure maximum effectiveness.

5. Can I still use an expired condom if it looks and feels fine?

No, you should not use an expired condom even if it looks and feels fine. As mentioned before, the materials used to make condoms can deteriorate over time, making them less effective. It is best to always use a condom within its expiration date to ensure your safety and protection.