Is the Function f(x) Unbounded on Its Domain?

• Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the given function is unbounded. The participants consider using a proof by contradiction but ultimately conclude that it is not necessary. Instead, they show that for any given "large number" M, there exists an x value such that f(x) is larger than M, proving that there is no bound for the function.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

Show that the function
[tex]
f(x) =\\

\begin{cases}
\frac{1}{x} &\quad 0 < x \leq 1\\
0 &\quad x = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

is unbounded.

Homework Equations

If f is bounded, |f(x)| <= M for all x in f's domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried arguing by contradiction: suppose there is such an M. Then |f(x)| = f(x) <= M. But if f(x) < 1/M, f(x) > M. But I get stuck because that means this particular choice of bound does not work. Instead, choose N > M. But then f(x) < 1/N makes f(x) > N. There might be a bound, and I'm having trouble proving that there is not a bound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bigplanet401 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the function
[tex]
f(x) =\\

\begin{cases}
\frac{1}{x} &\quad 0 < x \leq 1\\
0 &\quad x = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

is unbounded.

Homework Equations

If f is bounded, |f(x)| <= M for all x in f's domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried arguing by contradiction: suppose there is such an M. Then |f(x)| = f(x) <= M. But if f(x) < 1/M, f(x) > M.
If x < 1/M, then f(x) > M.
You can do this directly, without resorting to a proof by contradiction.
bigplanet401 said:
But I get stuck because that means this particular choice of bound does not work. Instead, choose N > M. But then f(x) < 1/N makes f(x) > N. There might be a bound, and I'm having trouble proving that there is not a bound.

Mark44 said:
If x < 1/M, then f(x) > M.
You can do this directly, without resorting to a proof by contradiction.

But then can't you choose N > M and still be bounded? I'm guessing that I have to show that we can always take x small enough so that there's no M that will always satisfy the condition f(x) <= M for x in (0, 1]. But I don't know how to do that.

bigplanet401 said:
But then can't you choose N > M and still be bounded?
I think you might be confusing this problem with one in which ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \infty##.
bigplanet401 said:
I'm guessing that I have to show that we can always take x small enough so that there's no M that will always satisfy the condition f(x) <= M for x in (0, 1]. But I don't know how to do that.
Yes. Let some "large number" M be given. Then if 0 < x < 1/M, then f(x) > M. That's all you need to say.

@bigplanet401: The statement that ##f(x)## is bounded means that there is a number ##M## such that for all ##x##, ##|f(x)|\le M##. I think it would help your thought process if you wrote a careful denial of that. The statement that ##f(x)## is unbounded means..., then prove that.

1. What does it mean for a function to be unbounded?

When a function is unbounded, it means that there is no limit to how large or small the function can get. In other words, the function does not have a finite range of values.

2. How can you prove that a function is unbounded?

To prove that a function is unbounded, you must show that there is no limit to the values the function can take on. This can be done by finding points on the function where the values become increasingly large or small, without ever reaching a maximum or minimum.

3. What are some common examples of unbounded functions?

Examples of unbounded functions include polynomial functions with a degree greater than or equal to 2, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.

4. Can a function be unbounded in both the positive and negative direction?

Yes, a function can be unbounded in both the positive and negative direction. This means that the function has no upper or lower limit and can take on infinitely large or small values in either direction.

5. Is it possible for a function to be unbounded on a specific interval but bounded on another?

Yes, a function can be unbounded on one interval and bounded on another. This means that the function has a finite range of values on one interval, but its values become increasingly large or small on another interval.