1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is f(z)=x differentiable with respect to z?

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The only thing given is f(z)=x. However, I am under the assumption that z is a complex variable where z=x+iy. I'm also assuming that x is a real variable.

In this example, I know that f(z)=x is not differentiable with respect to z because it does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations but I need to prove this using the limit definition of the derivative.

2. Relevant equations

I used the definition of the limit i.e. limit as h→0 [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h however I'm not quite sure what f(x+h) translates into in this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

this may be a straight forward question that I'm over thinking but I get lim Δz→0 [Δx/Δz] which does not exist. Is that correct?

This is my first post. I don't know how to enter math notation that is easier to read. Help with that would also be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Remember that z is a complex number so the limits are taken in the complex plane. That is two-dimensional so there are an infinite number of ways of taking a limit, not just "from below" and "from above".

The derivative at, say, [itex]z_0= x_0+ iy_0[/itex], is given by [itex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(z_0+ h)- f(z_0)}{h}[/itex] and h itself is a complex number.

Suppose we take the limit as h approaches 0 along the a line parallel to the real axis. Write f(z)= u(x,y)+ iv(x,y), we have u(x,y)= x and v(x,y)= 0.

[tex]\lim{h\to 0}\frac{u(x_0+h,y_0)+ iv(x_0+h,y_0)- u(x_0,y_0)- iv(x_0,y_0}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{x_0+ h- x_0}{h}= 1[/tex]

Now take the limit as h goes to 0 parallel to the imaginary axis: h is now ih:
    [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{u(x_0, y_0+ h)+ iv(x_0, y_0+h)- u(x_0,y_0)- iv(x_0,y_0)}{ih}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{x_0- x_0}{ih}= 0[/tex]
    since those are not the same, the limit as h goes to 0 along different paths is different. The limit itself does not exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook