Is f(z)=x differentiable with respect to z?

In summary, the given function f(z)=x is not differentiable with respect to z, as it does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations. This can be proven using the limit definition of the derivative, which shows that the limit does not exist when taken along different paths in the complex plane.
inurface323

Homework Statement

The only thing given is f(z)=x. However, I am under the assumption that z is a complex variable where z=x+iy. I'm also assuming that x is a real variable.

In this example, I know that f(z)=x is not differentiable with respect to z because it does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations but I need to prove this using the limit definition of the derivative.

Homework Equations

I used the definition of the limit i.e. limit as h→0 [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h however I'm not quite sure what f(x+h) translates into in this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

this may be a straight forward question that I'm over thinking but I get lim Δz→0 [Δx/Δz] which does not exist. Is that correct?

This is my first post. I don't know how to enter math notation that is easier to read. Help with that would also be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that z is a complex number so the limits are taken in the complex plane. That is two-dimensional so there are an infinite number of ways of taking a limit, not just "from below" and "from above".

The derivative at, say, [itex]z_0= x_0+ iy_0[/itex], is given by [itex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(z_0+ h)- f(z_0)}{h}[/itex] and h itself is a complex number.

Suppose we take the limit as h approaches 0 along the a line parallel to the real axis. Write f(z)= u(x,y)+ iv(x,y), we have u(x,y)= x and v(x,y)= 0.

[tex]\lim{h\to 0}\frac{u(x_0+h,y_0)+ iv(x_0+h,y_0)- u(x_0,y_0)- iv(x_0,y_0}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{x_0+ h- x_0}{h}= 1[/tex]

Now take the limit as h goes to 0 parallel to the imaginary axis: h is now ih:
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{u(x_0, y_0+ h)+ iv(x_0, y_0+h)- u(x_0,y_0)- iv(x_0,y_0)}{ih}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{x_0- x_0}{ih}= 0[/tex]
since those are not the same, the limit as h goes to 0 along different paths is different. The limit itself does not exist.

What does it mean for a function to be differentiable with respect to z?

When a function is differentiable with respect to z, it means that its derivative with respect to the variable z exists at every point in its domain. In other words, the function is smooth and continuous at every point in its domain when z is the independent variable.

How do you determine if a function is differentiable with respect to z?

To determine if a function is differentiable with respect to z, you can use the definition of the derivative. Take the limit as the change in z approaches 0 and see if it exists. If it does, then the function is differentiable with respect to z.

What is the relationship between differentiability and continuity with respect to z?

If a function is differentiable with respect to z, then it is also continuous at every point in its domain. However, the converse is not always true. A function can be continuous but not differentiable with respect to z at certain points in its domain.

Can a function be differentiable with respect to z but not with respect to x or y?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable with respect to z but not with respect to x or y. This means that the function is not smooth and continuous when x or y is the independent variable, but it is when z is the independent variable.

What are some real-life applications of functions being differentiable with respect to z?

Functions that are differentiable with respect to z are commonly used in physics and engineering to model changes in physical quantities over time. They are also used in economics to analyze changes in economic variables over time. Additionally, they are used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.