Is graph theory an interesting option course?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on taking a graph theory course as an option for their physics program. They mention having completed several prerequisite math courses and express concern about the difficulty level of graph theory. They are also interested in other math courses that won't be too challenging. Another individual suggests finding out if the graph theory course is more proof oriented or computational, and mentions the importance of understanding formal proof writing. They also suggest that individuals interested in computer science or discrete mathematics may find graph theory interesting. The individual also mentions similarities between graph theory and group theory, and recommends reading up on the topic before making a decision.
quarky2001
I'm in my 4th year of a physics program, and I've got some serious freedom choosing courses now.

Has anyone taken graph theory? I've got a basic idea what it is, but no clue how difficult it might be.

Any other good math courses to take as an option that won't bee too difficult?

For prerequisites, I have:
- 2 courses linear algebra
- 4 courses integral calculus
- 2 courses differential equations
- 1 course complex analysis
- 1 course group theory

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably find out if the graph theory course you are thinking about taking is more proof oriented or computational...just as a precaution as it appears that you haven't had any formal proof writing courses. Of course, you might have gotten the gist of formal math proofs from group theory and linear algebra but i wouldn't like to assume that.

If you are interested in computer science you may find it interesting and useful. If you like more discrete areas of mathematics like combinatorics you may like graph theory. If you do not like these areas, you might be let down by graph theory, but not necessarily.

In graph theory you will probably notice some similarities with group theory (at least in terms of feel and some basic concepts). Isomorphism of graphs is an important concept. There will possibly be a tendency to be more algorithmic and constructive with proofs, meaning that you may have to actually describe/construct an algorithm that accomplishes a goal rather than simply prove that the goal is possible or necessarily do-able.

The wikipedia gives a reasonable overview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory#Enumeration

Just read it and do a wiki crawl and see if you think it sounds good. Maybe get a book on discrete mathematics out and check out the graph theory section.

1. Is graph theory a difficult subject to learn?

No, graph theory is a relatively accessible subject and does not require advanced mathematical knowledge to understand. However, like any subject, it may take time and effort to fully grasp the concepts.

2. How is graph theory used in real life?

Graph theory has numerous real-life applications, including in computer science, engineering, social networks, transportation systems, and many other fields. It can be used to model and solve problems related to connectivity, optimization, and visualization.

3. Can graph theory be applied to biological systems?

Yes, graph theory has been successfully applied to various biological systems, such as the study of protein interactions, gene regulatory networks, and brain connectivity. It can help identify patterns, relationships, and structures within complex biological data.

4. What are some key concepts in graph theory?

Some key concepts in graph theory include vertices (points or nodes), edges (lines or connections between vertices), degree (number of edges connected to a vertex), paths (sequences of connected edges and vertices), and cycles (closed paths). Other important concepts include connectivity, planarity, and graph coloring.

5. Is graph theory an important field of study?

Yes, graph theory is a fundamental and rapidly growing field of study with numerous practical applications. It has also led to breakthroughs in other fields such as computer science and biology. As technology advances, the relevance and importance of graph theory is expected to increase even further.